HBC BIAB Starter Kit

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
[email protected]

As promised mate.

Thanks for the link Covrich.
They do some nice stuff there, could almost get giddy and order a full micro brewery at £570 !!
But once again, 'please contact us for delivery information' strikes again...
My fault perhaps for living in the back of beyond....
MM has been in touch with possible options to source some stuff from Germany, might not help with our trade deficit maybe, but cheap beer is far more important ;-)

My HBC kit arrived today. All seems good, but I assumed the immersion chiller would come with hose (which it didn't).

A trip to B&Q or Homebase beckons tomorrow...

My HBC kit arrived today. All seems good, but I assumed the immersion chiller would come with hose (which it didn't).

They have to stop somewhere I suppose - they can't know everyone's setup/circumstances. I for instance need 12 feet of hose from tap to chiller because I brew in my garage. Someone who brews in their kitchen might only need two or three. Then you could say, I have a mixer tap, they didn't give me the right tap connector....

I think some suppliers of wort chillers do throw a couple of jubilee clips in but thats about it. This is such good value I didn;t mind the llack of connectors - as has been mentioned difficult to supply anything that works for everyone anyway.

I got my kit and used it for the first time yesterday afternoon to do a Timothy Taylor Landllord clone.

Anyway, with the plumbing for the wort chiller I decided to set things up so I can disconnect the hoses quicky for easy cleaning. so used the following setup:
The copper hose is 9.5mm - nearly but not quite 10mm.
So got 2 off 10mm x 15mm brass couplers from B&Q for £3.98 each. the 15mm side has the correct threads for hozelock connectors so you just ditch the nut and olive from the 15mm side. http://www.diy.com/departments/plumbsure-bq28618027-brass-reducing-coupler-dia15-mm/34126_BQ.prd
The 10mm olive was a little loose on the 9.5mm copper pipe so I wrapped 5-6 layers of plumbers PTFE tape round the tube to bulk it out to nearer 10mm diameter to suit the olive better.

I already had an old garden hose and PTFE tape so didn't need to buy those. All the bits for my setup cost about £20 but if doing it again I would use all B&Q cheap blue bits, rather than the blingy hozelock bits - could do it for about £13 with cheap blue B&Q only parts (excluding the hose).

Here is mine, worked well yesterday:

Chiller connectors.jpg

Cooling.jpg

Anyone able to take some pictures of the equipment? In what increments does the temp go in?

This is the BIAB kit from the Home Brewing Company, reall good value in my opinion and includes:
Peco boiler - no temp control
Wort Chiller - need to get some hos connectors or jubille clips as those not supplied
BIAB bag which fits the boiler perfectly
Power lead for the heating element
Plastic tap for transferring to FV.
Muslin bag for the hops
Plus an all grain kit from HBC
Free delivery

The lack of heating control wasn't a problem for me. Happy to switch on and wait till it gets to 70°C then turn off and drop the grain in for the mash. After the mash turn the heat on again and leave the heat on for the duration of the boil.

Picture, hope it helps:

HBC biab kit.jpg

looks like I did something similar Spapro, but I used the B&Q blue stuff (also bought the blue hose at under 9 quid!)

Agree with you. Very goof VFM and so easy to use.

I wrapped my boiler in a sleeping bag during the mash, so temperature hardly dropped at all (I guess its the tricks you learn on this forum which make it so easy).

Thanks. I take it your first brew went out. How much did the temperature drop during mash?

I've done partial mashing but this was my first BIAB brew using the peco boiler.

I had the boiler wrapped in a sleeping bag during the mash (which I have used successully on hob top brews) but the temp did need to be boosted a couple of times during my 1 hour mash - I think this was down to having the boiler straight down on the concrete floor in the garage. Next brew I am going to put the boiler onto a piece of chipboard or similar to insulate the base.

I only ever lost 1°C on a 60 minute mash on my hob top (hob heat off during the mash) using the same sleeping bag so the concrete floor must have been the cause of the temp loss using the Peco.

All-in-all very pleased with how the brew went, no major mistakes !

The recipe said the SG should be 1042 and mine was 1040 so quite pleased with the efficiency for a first go with new equipment.

Can't wait to try the beer in 6-7 weeks.

looks like I did something similar Spapro, but I used the B&Q blue stuff (also bought the blue hose at under 9 quid!)

Agree with you. Very goof VFM and so easy to use.

I wrapped my boiler in a sleeping bag during the mash, so temperature hardly dropped at all (I guess its the tricks you learn on this forum which make it so easy).

Yes the sleeping bag trick is what I do but I did have the boiler on the concrete floor which I think caused me issues with the temp dropping. Will stand on some chipboard for future brews, should sort it.

I had already bought the snazzy hozelock connectors before I got to B&Q otherwise I would have used all B&Q blue. The B&Q blue bits I have got do the job very nicely - there is no pressure anyway as the cooling water is just runnnig through.

Thank the extra info guys. Been torn between this deal and just buying a wort chiller for my current boiler. It's a tea urn but I would like something bigger and try biab method

Thank the extra info guys. Been torn between this deal and just buying a wort chiller for my current boiler. It's a tea urn but I would like something bigger and try biab method

Hoe big is your tea urn ? The Peco boiler can boil around 26litres (capacity is published as 32litres but you need to leave head space)

Is anyone aware that this deal is still running?
I've recently moved house and my previous 19l biab set-up is not suitable (no gas hob / not much safe outdoor space).
Supplies are quickly diminishing so am in desperate need of getting back on the brewing wagon.
A countertop kettle type setup is my best short-term option i think.

Cheers

VR

Is anyone aware that this deal is still running?
I've recently moved house and my previous 19l biab set-up is not suitable (no gas hob / not much safe outdoor space).
Supplies are quickly diminishing so am in desperate need of getting back on the brewing wagon.
A countertop kettle type setup is my best short-term option i think.

Cheers

VR

Yes, this is the deal: http://www.thehomebrewcompany.co.uk...iler-chiller-mashing-bag-mash-kit-p-2426.html

You get an all grain mashkit included so you need to select which one you want and add a note when you place your order for the starter kit.

You can also use the 5% forum discount code from the sticky in the offers forum (can't post the code in the public forums as non-members could see it.) http://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=20

Back