hefe

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danb

Landlord.
Reaction score
I've got a few bits of grain etc I want to use up.
Would I be able to brew a hefeweizen using wheat malt, maris otter and saaz hops. If so I'll just need yeast.
Thanks

Don't have one mate. Never brewed a hefe and just thought I might be able to with what I have left.
I've got just over a kg of m/o and about 3.5kg of wheat malt.
Also have choc, crystal and black malt but don't think these are needed.
300g of saaz too.
Thanks

AG#07 Hefeweizen

Recipe specifics:

Style: Generic Ale
Batch size: 23.0 l
Boil volume: 27.0 l
OG: 1.052
FG: 1.013
Bitterness (IBU): 12.3
Colour. . : 7.8
ABV: 5.1%

Grain/Sugars:

3.10 kg Wheat (German), 63.3%
1.50 kg Pilsener (German), 30.6%
0.30 kg Crystal 70-80L (British), 6.1%

Hops:

42.00 g Hersbrucker (AA 2.8%, Whole) 70 min, 11.6 IBU
8.00 g Hersbrucker (AA 2.8%, Whole) 10 min, 0.8 IBU

-----

That'sthe recipe I used. A close example of pittsys hefe.

If you have a herms or rims setup pittsy can advise you on a step mash sschedule but I did a simple 2 step of 63c for 20mins then 71c foe 70mins. It really makes a big difference.

I used WLP380 liquid yeast .ferment at 20c :thumb:

I'll make a recipe to those percentages with what I have and use saaz at the same hopping schedule.

I don't have rims or Herm's so will look into the stepped temp. As only ever done a single temp mash.

I've never used liquid yeast either as not built a stir plate etc yet. I have access local to mangrove jack yeasts which have a Bavarian wheat.
Would this be suitable?
Thanks

Try a wyeast smack pack :). You can get the same strains as white labs yeasts and no hassle involved.

Just a note , don't mash below the 60's with English wheat and marris otter they are highly modified grain and mashing below certain temps will make your beer worse not better .
Either mash at 66c for 90 mins or a step mash like 20 mins at 63c then 50 mins at 70c for example .
You need to use grains like weyermann from germany that are less modified making them ideal for step mashing and decoctions

pittsy said:
Just a note , don't mash below the 60's with English wheat and marris otter they are highly modified grain and mashing below certain temps will make your beer worse not better .
Either mash at 66c for 90 mins or a step mash like 20 mins at 63c then 50 mins at 70c for example .
You need to use grains like weyermann from germany that are less modified making them ideal for step mashing and decoctions
Do you only do a 70mins mash with a hefe pittsy?

pittsy said:
Just a note , don't mash below the 60's with English wheat and marris otter they are highly modified grain and mashing below certain temps will make your beer worse not better
That is not strictly true, There are benefits to doing a 35-45C rest even with well modified English malts, This helps to break down the beta-glucans from the wheat, and encourages the formation of the precursors to ferrulic acid (the clovey flavour/aroma).

As you are below the temp range for proteolysis or amylase activity any negative effects of a short (2o-30minute rest) in this range is more than offset buy the flavour gains. . . . that and the fact that wheat beers can often do with a lower temp amylase rest to ensure good attenuation anyway ;)

I recently brewed a hefe and used the wlp300 yeast (which you don't need a stir plate for) and it turned out really well.

NickW said:
jonnymorris said:
May be obvious but you'll need some oat husks for the sparge too.
Can't say I've ever used these with a wheat beer jonny
Yeah, but have you ever brewed a 75% wheat beer??

If you are BIAB then you can get away without, 3 Vessel, might be a good idea to use them

Aleman said:
NickW said:
jonnymorris said:
May be obvious but you'll need some oat husks for the sparge too.
Can't say I've ever used these with a wheat beer jonny
Yeah, but have you ever brewed a 75% wheat beer??

If you are BIAB then you can get away without, 3 Vessel, might be a good idea to use them

Never 75% only 63% as in the above recipe. Haven't yet had a stuck sparge . I'm pretty sure pittsy doesn't use them either aand wheat is all he brews. He uses a herms system though so I'm not sure if that makes a difference.

What % of husks is advised?

Still best to avoid mashing in low with English malts although as you say doing certain rests in ok but others aren't like 50c and for me I don't bother with 35c anymore as it doesn't seem to make a difference , I mash in at 41/44c then move to 55c etc etc and here is the danger area so imo best to say don't do any (below 60's) . German and Belgian malts seem far nicer imo anyway ( more malty and i like that ) and you can treat em bad if you want lol .
Last batch i did with English malts is still sat in a corny that i don't want to drink , and I've drank all my others (german malts) that's all i can say about that . :grin:

So its not worth attempting with the grain I have then. Think I'll leave it if its going to turn out bad.

danb said:
So its not worth attempting with the grain I have then. Think I'll leave it if its going to turn out bad.
I used pale instead of pilsner and it was seriously tasty. It might not be quite up to scratch in comparison... but still a damn fine beer. I'd go for it! Just avoid mashing in the areas pittsy mentioned.

Latest posts

Back