Help Me Convince My Husband that NEED corny kegs

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How small was the drill you used? wink...

Teheeee ;)

@Deadhead
Is there a reason why you cannot buy them yourself? Is this a case of wanting something but not willing to spend the money on it? And as a result, your other half is being lambasted for not spending the money you are unwilling to? I'm confused!

Oh, I'm happy to spend the money.! Just that we have a shared bank account and we have discussions on how we spend our money, especially when it comes to anything over £100. This forum helped me convince him that a GF was a worthy investment (and it has been), so just trying to find all the ways to bolster my argument! :beer1:

Teheeee ;)

Oh, I'm happy to spend the money.! Just that we have a shared bank account and we have discussions on how we spend our money, especially when it comes to anything over £100. This forum helped me convince him that a GF was a worthy investment (and it has been), so just trying to find all the ways to bolster my argument! :beer1:

Then this might be of interest
https://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/threads/cheap-12l-cornies.80640/

2x12 litre kegs for under £100

CO2 lasts for ages. I picked up two 6kg fire extinguishers and can't see me needing to source gas for the next couple of years at least. If you're lucky, your work might end up needing to replace some extinguishers...

So even if you have to buy your gas, it will last you ages.

Pros:
Crystal clear sediment free beer. Assuming your got the rest of the brewing process sound too, of course.

Quicker than bottling, by about 2 hours which is a boost.

Quicker turnaround (carbonation), although not by much if you're after the clarity.

Cons:
Requires a dedicated kegerator/keezer which ultimately takes up space. This isn't ideal for anyone really.

Initial setup cost can be expensive. Even on the cheap you're looking at over £150 for a two corny setup.

If you have the space it's absolutely worth doing, I have a fairly ghetto kegerator in the garage built from a £25 second hand fridge freezer. Does the job and I'm happy enough.
CO2 lasts for ages. I picked up two 6kg fire extinguishers and can't see me needing to source gas for the next couple of years at least. If you're lucky, your work might end up needing to replace some extinguishers...

So even if you have to buy your gas, it will last you ages.

Pros:
Crystal clear sediment free beer. Assuming your got the rest of the brewing process sound too, of course.

Quicker than bottling, by about 2 hours which is a boost.

Quicker turnaround (carbonation), although not by much if you're after the clarity.

Cons:
Requires a dedicated kegerator/keezer which ultimately takes up space. This isn't ideal for anyone really.

Initial setup cost can be expensive. Even on the cheap you're looking at over £150 for a two corny setup.

If you have the space it's absolutely worth doing, I have a fairly ghetto kegerator in the garage built from a £25 second hand fridge freezer. Does the job and I'm happy enough.
@Ghillie Do you use your fire extinguishers upside down? I bought a load of aquatic co2 cannisters and there were some fire extinguishers in the bundle too. But I don't fancy locking it open and turning it upside down.

Sorry to hijack thread.

A worthy comparison is how many pairs of shoes does the average woman own Vs how many feet does she have....
Do you EVER tell her she's NOT buying anything?
Our circumstances are all different but if you've got the funds....do it.
Two of my colleagues died last year...one in his 50's one in his 30's...enjoy it!

Two of my colleagues died last year...one in his 50's one in his 30's...enjoy it!

I want to like this due to the life's too short point that is so true.

@Ghillie Do you use your fire extinguishers upside down? I bought a load of aquatic co2 cannisters and there were some fire extinguishers in the bundle too. But I don't fancy locking it open and turning it upside down.

Sorry to hijack thread.
Yes it's upside down and locked open. It is sat on a shelf and ratchet strapped to the frame of the garage door, so it's not going anywhere.

Nothing to worry about locking it open either as your regulator controls the output. Use a decent enough regulator and there's no issue.

I'll try and find a photo.

It is ghetto AF, but it does the job and the extinguishers were free which is the main thing.
20180730_162807.jpeg

20180730_152048.jpeg

A worthy comparison is how many pairs of shoes does the average woman own Vs how many feet does she have....
Do you EVER tell her she's NOT buying anything?
Certainly my wife only has one pair of feet, but I'm sure she sometimes has two heads. Fortunately she doesn't get on this forum.:cheers3:

Latest posts

Back