High FG, not sweet, is that a problem?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dom0815

Reaction score
Hi,

I have a similar problem like the "Smoked Porter" thread further down, but it's also a bit different, so I didn't want to hijack that thread...

I started my first brew two weeks ago. OG at 1.050; fermentation started off very quickly; but also came to an end quickly after a couple of days, Gravity stuck at 1.030. I added a bit of sugar, again heavy (but short) fermentation, stuck again at 1.030. I did some research across the forum and elsewhere, meanwhile I know the reason for this is, I used way too much crystal malt (nearly 40%).
However, the brew doesn't taste bad, not sweet at all. And apparently the problem with high FG is - and why people want to "repair" it - that the beer is too sweet. That's not the case for me, so are there any other issues associated with high FG? Or can I just take it as it is?
Well my plan now is to add some more sugar, have another round of fermentation to increase the alcohol (a gravity difference of 0.020 is really a bit too little alcohol) and then just put in the keg/bottles. Is that reasonable?

Cheers,
Dom

If you can't get the FG any lower over a period of 3 or 4 weeks then I'd stick it in a keg. I wouldnt bottle in case it does start fermenting again. They'd explode.

And I would read up on recipes before brewing again. 40% crystal is something you never see. Follow recipes until you understand beer recipe construction, and you can always post recipes on here for feedback.

Actually you're right, my "recipe" is so way off to any recipe. I mainly used so much crystal malt, because the shop I ordered the malts from, didn't have enough "mild ale malt" and I just replaced the outstanding amount I needed with crystal malt. Thought they can't be so different, big mistake.

The more I think about it, I tend to just take it as a lesson to learn from, tip it and start a new batch with a reasonable recipe.

Cheers,
Dom

You'll learn quicker and get better results if you read up a bit, and/or run ideas past other brewers on here.

And, more to the point, you'll drink better beer. :thumb:

I have usually used the recipes from the Graham Wheeler books as a base and then made a few personal changes. At least then I know the original recipe is pretty sound.
The more you do then the more you can tweek and end up with a recipe of your own.
Good luck and happy brewing.

Latest posts

Back