Hops_and_Dreams Brewday

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use a very scientific way of measuring fermentation. As the airlock never bubbles, I don't bother using one. When it's fermenting, the lid bulges out as it's under pressure and flattens again when it's slowed down or stopped.

I was a bit surprised when I checked earlier that the lid has flattened after just over 48hrs on the stout. Gravity is currently 1024, so I hope it's not done just yet. Tasted really good though. Will check again at the end of the week and will give it the normal two weeks whatever happens.

I use a very scientific way of measuring fermentation. As the airlock never bubbles, I don't bother using one. When it's fermenting, the lid bulges out as it's under pressure and flattens again when it's slowed down or stopped.

I was a bit surprised when I checked earlier that the lid has flattened after just over 48hrs on the stout. Gravity is currently 1024, so I hope it's not done just yet. Tasted really good though. Will check again at the end of the week and will give it the normal two weeks whatever happens.

OK ok, calm down, you've told us once already ;l

Well it seems to be done (or very nearly) at 1023. I'm fairly sure I under aerated it, due to standing the FV higher to avoid the foamy mess I made last time when filling.

At least it will be sweet!

Bottled the Oatmeal Stout this morning, nice and creamy and heavy, so should be what I was after.

Have two new toys to use for today's brew, a malt mill and the cool brewing bag. Decided on a faux lager to test the bag out and see what temps I could achieve. The malt mill and drill made light work of the grain, crushed in a few minutes. Recipe below.

New World Lager

20ltr batch
OG 1044
FG 1009
IBU 30
SRM 2
ABV 4.7%

4kg Lager Malt

15g Green Bullet 60min
10g Motueka 20min
10g Motueka 5min
10g Green Bullet 0min
30g Motueka 0min

1 whirlfloc tablet 15min

Rehydrate 22g GV-12 and pitch at 20c

Ferment at 16c

Currently boling away, will be interesting to see if the mill improves efficiency. Should be nice for hot summer days (I hope!).

I certainly found the mill did help efficiency, but with the BIAB I think it lends itself to it a bit better.

I know you said you'd struggle but try sticking a bottle or two in the fridge for a month just to see how it changes it.. still lovely with out it though.

I certainly found the mill did help efficiency, but with the BIAB I think it lends itself to it a bit better.

I know you said you'd struggle but try sticking a bottle or two in the fridge for a month just to see how it changes it.. still lovely with out it though.

That's not a bad idea, I'll do that and see how it compares.

OG was 1043, so happy with that, works out to just about 70%. Could have gone finer with the crush I think, will give it a try next time. I've stuck 2 x frozen 2ltr bottles in the cool bag to bring the temp down and insulated and taped an aquarium thermometer to the FV, with the gauge outside to monitor the temp without opening the bag.

This cool brewing bag is working really well! Temp seems to have levelled at 14.8c, having had the heating on this morning too. It's still within the range of the yeast, so will leave it as is.

With a bit more freezer space for extra bottles, you could easily make a proper lager in it.

Daft question, did you let it carbonate in the bottles before or after putting it in the fridge?

Lager is down to 1011 today, so I've taken the ice packs out to let it warm up a bit and fully attenuate.

Sample tasted as expected, yeasty beer.

Kegged the lager on Sunday. Finished at 1007, so should be nice and dry.

Tasted really good out of the FV, these hops seem to be limey citrus.

Looking forward to tucking into this on a hot day.

Did you manage to get any bottles out of it (I only asked as you seemed interested in lagering a few)

Yes, I got two. Normally give the odds to my dad, but he might miss out this time!

Will stick them in the fridge next week and attempt to leave them for a month. Could be a challenge as I'm always keen to try a new beer!

Been wanting to make this for a while, but kept it for the summer. Not used this hop combo together before, but should be good by all accounts. Currently mashing away.

1.052OG
1.008FG
61IBU
2SRM
5.9%ABV
20ltr
60min Boil

Fermentables

Amount Fermentable Maltster Use PPG Color
4.0 kg Bohemian Pilsner (DE) Any Mash 38 1 °L
345.0 g Carapils (DE) Any Mash 35 1 °L
230.0 g Dextrose (Corn Sugar) Any Boil 46 0 °L