how does your significant other feel about your home brew

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My wife is not happy with the ammount of equiptment and bottles I have.

She's does not like ale, lager, cider ect.... as she is an alcopop and spirit drinker, and will not even try my brews. My friends on the other hand have all
enjoyed my brews.

My wife will be happy as soon as I build our bar in the garage, so she can show it off to her friends :)

Alongside my long distance cycling, photography and football coaching, she doesn't bat an eyelid, although is happier that I am now brewing in the garage.

As long as I clean up and keep the FV's with my other junk in my home office all is cool. :thumb:

My wife gave up moaning about brewing many years ago. One good tip to get them on side. Although I brew in the garage I am back and forward in the kitchen for water etc. when I finish I wash the kitchen floor for her, I know I'm being over generous but anything for harmony. :whistle:

dennisking said:
My wife gave up moaning about brewing many years ago. One good tip to get them on side. Although I brew in the garage I am back and forward in the kitchen for water etc. when I finish I wash the kitchen floor for her, I know I'm being over generous but anything for harmony. :whistle:

Me too.... normally with wort :D

She don't mind. The first time I put a FV in the spare bedroom she came upstairs and said what's that funny smell.. Funny smell!!!
But brewing is the only indoor hobby I have. So when its raining she says "well at least it keeps you out of the pub....." :wha:

I only took it up as something to do after she left me. If she was still here she would have me brewing cider, but I'd never to get to taste it myself!

I pretty much get left alone on the brewing front. I brew in a dedicated shed which keeps her happy. I only get moaned at if I brew when I'm meant to be doing some diy or such like (or if the kids are being awkward) :lol:

Currently single so not a nag in the world!

I did mention to my ex that I was brewing and she looked genuinely interested. But then again, she is a borderline alcoholic!

My wife bought me my first kit for my bday last year bcoz she couldn't think of anything else to get me. Then when I bottled that she was wondering when I was getting the next kit.

She doesnt drink it all and only had a sip of the first kit. Though only a few weeks ago I was looking a an ag kit some guy was selling and said to me to get off my **** and build it myself.

When told it would probably be more expensive she was like its something for you to do and have fun with so just do it.

So all in all I think she pretty ok with it lol

My other half hated it when I first started brewing, I used to ferment in the dining room and I always left a mess in the kitchen....she used to poke fun at my "tramps beers" with her friends and always questioned my spending money on kit..

I then got better, moved to AG and started brewing in the garage, moved from 25 litres, to 50 litres and then 100 litres. I brewed a beer fermented with honey, she loved it, from then on she has been really supportive of my brewing.

I brew semi commercialy now, brewing 740 litres in one go on a monthly basis

robbarwell said:
I brew semi commercialy now, brewing 740 litres in one go on a monthly basis
That's fantastic might have to get some more info from you so I can try it

ive got to admit at 1st she didnt like the idea or understand why i would want to bother but as the brews are getting better and better she approves more and more.

Mine is good as gold, only nags a bit when I leave the kit lying around the kitchen for ages. I told her "Look, I said I'll take it down to the garage and I will, theres no need to remind me every six months!"

ScottM said:
She doesn't mind it tooooo much. She doesn't like bits and bobs all over the kitchen and she is a little cagey about how much I drink, but other than that she's fine with it :)

Mine is exactly the same.
She says my brewing gear is all over the kitchen, thats a FV in a kitchen cupboard, a keg and a few bottles in the corner conditioning and a kit on top of the kitchen cupboard, hardly all over the place!!!

She is constantly mentioning how much i drink though, is 4 to 6 pints a week too much?

So long as I keep it organised mine's fine. She even likes my beer which has to be a good thing!

Floor mopping, as previously mentioned, is the route to brewing happiness. Yes, the house stinks of malt and hops but look! A shiny clean floor... :thumb:

yep nothing worse than a wet patch on the kitchen floor........

It was my DH that got me into homebrewing, so he can't really say much. He's done a few kits, and then I took up the cider and wine making :D I think the number of DJs sitting about the house bothers him a bit, he'd rather they were out of sight but that's not really an option since there's nowhere else for them to go. I try to keep all the bits and bobs tidied away...and I mop the floor on brewdays/rackings days too :mrgreen: I think his main complaint is that I don't really drink anough of it and just keep making more :shock:

It's nice to see that in probably a male dominated hobby, women are enjoying getting stuck in too. If only I could get my OH to do it, she grew up in a pub so she can't stand the smell. I guess I should feel lucky I can do what I do already

It varies as to what im brewing (and spending) :lol: But mostly ok with it, (she's very good at designing labels as well)!

Latest posts

Back