how much do you drink?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
graysalchemy said:
I actually brew heavier gravity flavoursome beers which I sup more slowly as i am actually enjoying each mouthful. I only drink 3 pints in a session but really enjoy them. It is amazing the number of different taste sensations you get with a mouthful of beer.

Coupled with the challenge oif brewing them makes for a winning combination.

Now if only I could do the same with my cooking making delicious food and smaller portions. :lol: :lol:

This is my theory :)

I drink too much in the way of shorts and wine, however when I buy good beer it lasts me a long old while, it just takes up a shed load more room in the trolley than a bottle of spirits.....

So, having good tasty beer in large quantities on hand at home shoud see me sup less and hopefully lose some weight, based on my booze diary anyway :D

Add to that the fun of actually brewing my own, if only from kits as yet, keeps me away from booze for an evening and it's all good :)

I'm enjoying a nice bottle of homemade Shiraz as I read this!! that's the downside of home brewing, boredom strikes and you have huge quantities of booze on hand. And now SWMBO is pregnant it's all down to me!! I'm drinking for two now.

Seriously though, if you can't get through a night without thinking about having a drink (whether you have one or not) it's maybe time to reconsider your hobby :(

For me it depends on where I am on my shift patter ,
I work 7 days and 7 nights over 3 weeks, then have two off.

So when in working I don't have alot of time to drink, but in my two week off I have around 5-6 pints a night :(

i'm supprised to see this thread again
for your information i have now reduced the amount of ale i drink per night
perhaps i shouldn't give up on the brewing yet
i just need to find a new drinking partner to drink the ale
last w/e i brewed 18 gallons of ale
thats about a months worth poss a bit longer

ok we have our our moments but generally we tend to self regulate on the amount of drink we consume
as per the govenment recomendations to units comsumed i dont give it much credit especially after talking to somebody who used to be high up in the nhs (i will not publicise the name)
it's a lot of hype for political and finiantal purpose

steve

:hmm:

I tend to work nights and on my nights off I will probably have 1 or 2 cans/bottles of beer. Even with homebrewing I doubt this will increase much. Just means I can plan my brews better lol.

Aleman said:
A pint every couple of days, Half a bottle of wine at weekends

Not that much really

Your sig says that in 2010 you brewed over 5,000 pints. Have you cut back on brewing or do you give most of it away. No criticism intended just curious.

orlando said:
Aleman said:
A pint every couple of days, Half a bottle of wine at weekends

Not that much really

Your sig says that in 2010 you brewed over 5,000 pints. Have you cut back on brewing or do you give most of it away. No criticism intended just curious.

What he does give away,is Bloody Good Stuff :thumb:

Sorry for bringing up such an old thread. But, I've recently been thinking about the amount I drink, and hat it's been too much. So I too am looking to cut down. Previously,I'd been drinking about 3-5 pints a night, every night.

So, now I'm going to try and take a bit of a rest before Christmas, and have not had a drink for nearly 2 weeks now.

So, I was just wondering how sledgehammer got on with his trying to stop drinking so much. How are you getting on with still brewing and trying to cut back?

Cheers

in response to your post.......................................
it's a it hit and miss at the moment lots going on round here ......:D a lot of the time i think i drink less than i used to but there are occasions like tonight when i just get in the mood and I'll drink
i would say don't worry you generally know when you've had enough and you will stop drinking

Steve

I was tea total for over 15 years due to work, driving etc. I took up home brewing with my son in April and now drink two or three of bottles of beer every couple of days, and enjoying it again.
Surprisingly I feel better for it too. I don't suffer from indigestion or trapped wind as I was prone to ... :D

2 pints on a Wednesday & Thursday
4 pints on a Friday
6 pints on a Saturday
2 pints on a Sunday

16 pints a week roughly

Normally for me it's:
1 Thursday
3 Friday & 2 Double Scotch
2 Saturday & 2 Double Scotch
0/1 Sunday or maybe a Scotch

James

Normally around 5-10 drinks a week. A couple on a friday and saturday night, and then an occasional one on a weekday.

Can vary between beer/cider, wine, fortifieds and spirits depending on mood, but very rarely more than a couple in one go.

Since I started brewing its gone up. I frequently used to go a week without a drink but now its 7-10 pints a week with only 1 or 2 booze free days. Having said that I did go a little mad initially and it was up to about 20 pints a week for a short time but the belly alerted me to the issue.

My beer is about 3 units a pint so I'm still on or over the recommended limits and it really needs to come down further so I'll try to make sure I have another booze free day in the week.

I tend to drink because I'm thirsty not because I want the alcohol, its just that I like beer and hate water. I have found that lime cordial and tonic water is a refreshing soft drink which doesn't taste like fizzy pop, so when I get the fancy for a beer on a non booze day that's what I go for.

I won't be worrying about it over Christmas though.

Jeltz said:
its just that I like beer and hate water.

I hear ya!!! Real beer just tastes, well, better than everything else!!

If it wasn't for good coffee I'd be royally screwed...

Back