How to reduce a 9.4% beer to something drinkable?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HowbeckAles

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm only a few batches in to all-grain and I've been experimenting with reusing yeast (having botched together a stir plate) and trying to fine-tune my kit.

Made a "Hop Ottin' IPA" from Clone Brews which should have an OG of 1.072 and FG of 1.017. Nice little number. Loads of hops etc.

I actually brewed a 1.080 beer that, thanks to my re-used Wyeast American Ale yeast has attenuated down to 1.010. Possibly a bit stronger initially due to using the last of my sack of Maris Otter so possibly more sugar at the bottom of the sack plus the volume came out a touch short because I needed to increase my hop amount to account for lower AA than planned so I could hit my IBUs. I suspect that's why, anyway.

The beer is still in the brew fridge after 2 weeks. Going to rack it to a secondary next week. Any ideas how I can turn this 9.4% monster into something more drinkable? I assume watering it down will have a detrimental effect on the mouthfeel of the beer...

Cheers! 🍻

Adding some water to dilute down a little is your only option I think - boiled then cooled kettle water best to avoid risks of infection.

Shouldn't affect mouthfeel too much from intended as you are really only taking it down to where it should be - given your starting gravity was higher than expected.

Not sure how much to add, not sure what size batch you are starting with ?

I know it is unlikely but you could bottle in smaller bottles. Either way its going to be a good few months before this mellows you so racking to seconadry and bulk aging may be a good idea .

you could rather than just totally liquor back with water make a big hop tea when you do bottle to help dilute it

add boiled water or just use a smaller glass, we will forgive you if you don't drink it by the pint :) cause we're good that way.

Really add some boiled water then cold crash and bottle it will be fine.

aamcle

Others have sai add boiled (and cooled) water, which is good advice but you dont HAVE to boil it. I never boil my dilution water for my maxi-biab's (due to me being a lazy brewer) and have never had a problem

You could do part and part as well. Leave some as it is and bottle and water some down. that way you will be able to see how it has affected the final result and if it happens again you will know whch way you prefer. Don't forget if you water it down you will get a lot more beer as well so you should have enough to do both anyway. Assuming its proportional to volume, if you add the equivalent of 1/3 of the volume of boiled water (use a calculator to confirm) it should give close to the ABV from your target OG and FG at over 7%. Maybe bottle a 1/4 or 1/3 as it is and make backup to the current volume for the watered down beer.

Id bottle that one for keeps sake and get another more sessionable beer on quick sharpish:thumb:

Thanks for the suggestions! I originally brewed it for my daughter's christening (!) so I could do with getting it in a bottle and giving it some time rather than brewing up another SMASH to dilute it.

I think as an experiment I'll bottle some as is, dilute the rest down to a drinkable state and leave it to bottle condition. Wish me luck!! Glad to hear I should get away with it.

Thanks for the suggestions! I originally brewed it for my daughter's christening (!) so I could do with getting it in a bottle and giving it some time rather than brewing up another SMASH to dilute it.

I think as an experiment I'll bottle some as is, dilute the rest down to a drinkable state and leave it to bottle condition. Wish me luck!! Glad to hear I should get away with it.

Hi,

I'm only a few batches in to all-grain and I've been experimenting with reusing yeast (having botched together a stir plate) and trying to fine-tune my kit.

Made a "Hop Ottin' IPA" from Clone Brews which should have an OG of 1.072 and FG of 1.017. Nice little number. Loads of hops etc.

I actually brewed a 1.080 beer that, thanks to my re-used Wyeast American Ale yeast has attenuated down to 1.010. Possibly a bit stronger initially due to using the last of my sack of Maris Otter so possibly more sugar at the bottom of the sack plus the volume came out a touch short because I needed to increase my hop amount to account for lower AA than planned so I could hit my IBUs. I suspect that's why, anyway.

The beer is still in the brew fridge after 2 weeks. Going to rack it to a secondary next week. Any ideas how I can turn this 9.4% monster into something more drinkable? I assume watering it down will have a detrimental effect on the mouthfeel of the beer...

Cheers! 🍻

Use it to make shandy in summer :lol:

Hi,

Cheers! 🍻
If you send it to me,i will take all your problems away, free of charge mate
No,seriously, i would mix it with a low abv commercial beer when drinking, ive done this with aome beers and it works out ok,good luck whatever you do 👍

Haha cheers! I'll see how the originals turn out after a generous conditioning in the back of the garage. If I can feel my liver pulsating through my abdomen I'll add a few litres of lemonade for good measure just to be on the safe side!!

Should have made a small beer from the leftovers of this monster. Might still have turned out as strong as Special Brew!!!

Latest posts

Back