Whats the quickest I could be drinking bottled beer?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mancer62

Landlord.
Reaction score
I have been caught on the hop somewhat and am wondering what's the quickest possible time I could make a malt extract kit beer, bottle and drink it. My aim is to have one drinkable by the 16th March !!!
The style would be an IPA with plenty of dry hops. For example is there a recommended years out there that could ferment out inside a week or so [giving the beer 3 weeks to condition] or have I left it too late.
Look forward to replies ty.

Not sure about extract but with my BIAB brews I usually ferment over two weeks (this is longer than required) and then bottle condition with some dextrose and the beers are ready two weeks after that (so 4 weeks total) - so you should be fine!

Should be enough time. An American IPA will only get worse after 3 weeks in the bottle.
Prioritise proper fermentation completion including a diacetyl rest over bottle conditioning time.

Kveik obviously will be the fastest, but US-05 will easily be done within the week. Avoid M44 if you can help it, as that takes a bit longer.

I have been caught on the hop somewhat and am wondering what's the quickest possible time I could make a malt extract kit beer, bottle and drink it. My aim is to have one drinkable by the 16th March !!!
The style would be an IPA with plenty of dry hops. For example is there a recommended years out there that could ferment out inside a week or so [giving the beer 3 weeks to condition] or have I left it too late.
Look forward to replies ty.
Wheat beer can be drunk pretty much straight away it takes 10-14 days to ferment but doesn't need 3 weeks to condition. 5 days in a warm place after bottling and fill your boots.

28/05/2019 - wheat beer - 50th beer met orange cap
3 kg dwe
500g GS
MJ Bavarian yeast
100 saaz 2.2% alpha- 20 min boil in 4.5 litres of water
21.5 litres - 1059 -1017 pitched at 26
5.51%

As mentioned Wheat beers are a good choice for a quick beer, you can practically drink a Weissbier straight from the fermentor (although as a style do need to carbonate).

If you can get the temperature up you may also want to try a Kveik (you can get dry Voss or Hornindial from CML). Ferment at 35°C+ and it will be done in five days and then a couple of weeks somewhere warm and should easily be ready by the end of February.

Kveik is not truly neutral and I know not everyone enjoys beers made with them although personally I feel the flavours from Voss or Hornindial work well in a hoppy IPA.

Thanks for the feedback....I do enjoy a happy beer so the Kveik Voss or Hornindial sounds perfect. Which one of the two would be better suited to IPA?

Of the beers I've tasted with kveik, I prefer hornindal. Voss a bit orangy for me.

Thanks for the feedback....I do enjoy a happy beer so the Kveik Voss or Hornindial sounds perfect. Which one of the two would be better suited to IPA?
I wouldn't use either. If you've got to use a kveik, I'd use Opshaug. Much more neutral than the others. You need to ass yeast nutrient and keep it warm otherwise it can take longer than a standard ale yeast, though.

Voss if fermented high tends to give some orange flavour, I enjoy this but as has being mentioned it’s not completely neutral. I’ve also used Hornindial and found it to have minimal effect on flavour although it was a very hoppy beer, so this possibly masked any flavours from the yeast.

Nobody has mentioned Lutra kveik. This is very clean in my experience.

But don't expect clear beer quickly if you use any kveik.
I use Opshaug and have to say it drops brilliant very quickly without the need for finings. Regularly use it in lagers and other beers.
It drops in great clumps and very good indicator that it's nearly finished fermenting. I do bump up the temp a couple of degrees towards the end of ferment to ensure it's finished working.

If you can then chill it then clearing will be even faster.

After 30 brews I have tried kits, extract and latterly all grain BIAB brewing. I now only make all grain Belgian ales using Belgian ale or tripel yeast. I can safely bottle after 12 - 14 days and then carbonate in the bottle for two weeks at room temperature. Chill it and it drinks well, although admittedly it does improve after a further week or so. So four weeks start to finish for a drinkable brew.

Wheat beer can be drunk pretty much straight away it takes 10-14 days to ferment but doesn't need 3 weeks to condition. 5 days in a warm place after bottling and fill your boots.

28/05/2019 - wheat beer - 50th beer met orange cap
3 kg dwe
500g GS
MJ Bavarian yeast
100 saaz 2.2% alpha- 20 min boil in 4.5 litres of water
21.5 litres - 1059 -1017 pitched at 26
5.51%
Sorry, could you let me know what GS is ?

Latest posts

Back