Hurricane Florence likely 'the storm of a lifetime' for Carolinas.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chippy_Tea

Administrator.
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Mandatory evacuations in place and a 15 foot tidal surge predicted. ashock1

Hurricane Florence likely 'the storm of a lifetime' for Carolinas : National Weather Service Subscribe us for more videos and news! Hurricane Florence, a powerful Category 4 storm moving closer to North and South Carolina, will bring wind and waves that may be "nothing like you’ve ever seen," North Carolina Gov. Ray Cooper said Tuesday. "This storm is a monster," Cooper told reporters at a news conference. "It’s big and it’s vicious. It is an extremely dangerous, life threatening, historic hurricane." "This will likely be the storm of a lifetime for portions of the Carolina coast," the National Weather Service spokesperson in Wilmington said Tuesday night. "I can't emphasize enough the potential for unbelievable damage from wind, storm surge, and inland flooding with this storm." The storm is forecast to make landfall early morning Friday between midnight and 5 a.m. as a major hurricane. FEMA administrator Brock Long warned that power could be knocked out for weeks. "This has an opportunity of being a very devastating storm," Long said Tuesday. "The power will be off for weeks. You're going to be displaced from your home in coastal areas. There will be flooding in the inland areas as well." The U.S. Department of Health and Human Services declared a public health emergency in North Carolina and South Carolina on Tuesday.

Last edited:
I feel for them. Was this time last year I was on my Honeymoon down the Keys and was evacuated due to Irma.
Hopefully is will lose strength and drop to a cat 3
https://www.nhc.noaa.gov

One resident was saying its very slow moving and this will cause even more damage, as you say you have to feel for anyone about to go through this.

*Sigh*. Why can't we ever have anything like that? I love extreme weather,me. All we seem to get is' mainly dry with sunny spells', a bit of drizzle and a touch of frost now and then. It's rubbish.

*Sigh*. Why can't we ever have anything like that? I love extreme weather,me. All we seem to get is' mainly dry with sunny spells', a bit of drizzle and a touch of frost now and then. It's rubbish.

I dont. The Uk comes to a vitual stand still if we get a few flakes of snow. I caqnt even imagine what would happen if we had that here

I dont. The Uk comes to a vitual stand still if we get a few flakes of snow. I caqnt even imagine what would happen if we had that here

I'd stay home, rolling around on the sofa watching the carnage on teevee whilst necking pork pies and suppin' me ale. Bliss!

All that booze and curry is messing with your memory - not 2 months ago you were complaining about our extreme weather. Roll on October!

I get all my "factual" info about the UK from Doctor Who where the Christmas special sometimes makes a joke about finally getting snow. I had to do a mini geography lesson to see the UK position relative to the US's lower 48 and then something about the Gulf Stream.
We, too, go in a panic (snow storms here) at times. Needlessly. I've seen then entire produce section emptied out. Really? You want fruits and vegetables for the long haul and not canned goods?

How many of us wish for a thunder storm when the weather is muggy and sticky!

How many of us wish for a thunder storm when the weather is muggy and sticky!
Not me anymore since we got struck by lightning. Blew a hole in the roof and fried me and Mrs Cwrw. I was just knocked to the floor but she was stood by the cooker with smoke pouring off her.

Not me anymore since we got struck by lightning. Blew a hole in the roof and fried me and Mrs Cwrw. I was just knocked to the floor but she was stood by the cooker with smoke pouring off her.

That sounds like great fun! As a child I lived in mortal fear of thunderstorms - a trait inherited from my mother. But I was cured whilst walking across a football field when lightning struck the goalpost mere yards away, putting my mate and me on our backs! Psychologist types would probably attribute that to conquering fears by meeting them head-on and defeating them, summat like that.

I don't really mind thunder and lightning, as long as it isn't during a brewing session. A close in lightningstrike two years ago fried all my electronic equipment that was on or in stand-by mode.

Back