Idea's needed

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi guys, yesterday i got 50kg of grain 25kg of pilsner 25kg of lager malt, my question is what other grain goes with it ie wheat, munich, crystal all ideas welcome, i will confess i like a good wheat beer and continental largers, i am getting temp control in the next 2 weeks and would like to brew some of these styles which will be new for me as i have learned on bitters and pale ale and ipa's, i feel it is time to branch out

The lager malt and Pilsner malt are pretty much interchangeable.

A few of my past (successful) brews based on what you’ve said in your post:

Munich Helles - 85-90% Pilsner malt with 10-15% of either Munich or Vienna

California Common - 85% lager malt 15% medium crystal

Japanese Lager - 90% lager malt, 10% flaked rice

Witbier - 50% Pilsner, 45% unmalted wheat, 5% oats

Hefeweizen - 50% Pilsner, 50% wheat malt

I've recently started making pilsner. Just 5kg pilsner malt and a single hop. My first was with saaz which was temp controlled with s23 yeast. I've got another on with tettnang which I'm using MJ Cali lager yeast at 20c. I've got more malt and more saaz for another in stock. I also have a wheat beer fermenting which was 2.7kg wheat and 2.3kg pilsner...or was it the other way round??
As said get some Munich,crystal, wheat or Vienna.

I've recently started making pilsner. Just 5kg pilsner malt and a single hop. My first was with saaz which was temp controlled with s23 yeast. I've got another on with tettnang which I'm using MJ Cali lager yeast at 20c. I've got more malt and more saaz for another in stock. I also have a wheat beer fermenting which was 2.7kg wheat and 2.3kg pilsner...or was it the other way round??
As said get some Munich,crystal, wheat or Vienna.
You won't get far with a single hop, Clint, you tight barsteward. :laugh8:

I can recommend a California Common steam beer which I recently brewed for the first time
and is now conditioning in a barrel - though I've had a few glasses for quality control !
Made it with (Bohemian) Pilsener, light Munich, extra dark Crystal malts, hopped with Hallertau mittelfrueh
and MJ54 Californian lager yeast fermented at 20c.

Makes a pleasant change from the American pales and English bitters I've been making since I started all grain brewing.

50kg should keep you going for a while !

I can recommend a California Common steam beer which I recently brewed for the first time
and is now conditioning in a barrel - though I've had a few glasses for quality control !
Made it with (Bohemian) Pilsener, light Munich, extra dark Crystal malts, hopped with Hallertau mittelfrueh
and MJ54 Californian lager yeast fermented at 20c.

Makes a pleasant change from the American pales and English bitters I've been making since I started all grain brewing.

50kg should keep you going for a while !
Never tried it, but your ingredients list looks more than promising. Is this a kind of Anchor clone? I'm thinking of having a go at it.

Never tried it, but your ingredients list looks more than promising. Is this a kind of Anchor clone? I'm thinking of having a go at it.

Yes that sort of thing, it's a Jon Finch recipe I copied off the Malt Miller all grain kit list and scaled down.
https://www.themaltmiller.co.uk/product/cali-common-jon-finch/
It has a really interesting toasty, caramel maltiness.
This is it after a week in the barrel ( a week ago )
IMG_2021-05-07-17-22-27-853 (1).jpg

Back