Impromtu Slovenian brew

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DanST

Regular.
Reaction score
Had an unexpected free day so got down the lhbs and have now got a brew on the boil using some more Slovenian hops I won from Get'er brewed. Was aiming for a pseudo pilsner type but missed as the shop only had pale malt. Ah well.

Final vol 9L(hopefully)
Mash 1hr 65°C
Grain 2.17kg pale malt
60 min boil
60 min 6g styrian wolf 13.8% 28.3ibu

Going to split the batch between 2 Demi's to ferment with muntons gold yeast as that's what I've got in the fridge. Didn't add any aroma hops so I could split the batch and will add a hop tea to each at bottling. Probably styrian goldings and savinjski goldings.

Found the mash held it's temperature much better with the larger volume and only lost a degree over the hour and that may have been from me opening it up to check it. Had problems previous doing 4.5L batches because of the large dead space in my 19L pot.

Got a feeling I may have overdone the sparging as I had to wing it a bit with volumes and still haven't got the boil off rate nailed for my set up bit will soon see.

Forgot to add the styrian wolf hops smell amazing. I'm not usually a fan of the smell of hops but as soon as I added these to the boil I got a lovely mouth-watering fruity smell. Was delicious. Think I'll make a single hop ale with some of these once I've tried all the other varieties.

Yup screwed up my sparge volumes so ended up doing a 90min boil to concentrate it a bit. As there's no aroma hops and the ibu's were pretty low anyway I can't see it being a problem. Will end up with beer some how, all part of the learning curve.

Ended up with 11L of 1.04 wort so it's all good.

Forgot to add the styrian wolf hops smell amazing. I'm not usually a fan of the smell of hops but as soon as I added these to the boil I got a lovely mouth-watering fruity smell. Was delicious. Think I'll make a single hop ale with some of these once I've tried all the other varieties.

Yep im my solvenian IPA it took a few weeks but the fruitiness and berry blended with the dana and cascase is brilliant.. These hops are the dogs and it will turn out great whatever hop tea you add

I sampled some of mine the weekend. I will deffo buy wolf again, needs another week though. Then it's game on!

Just took a reading and the trial jar tastes amazing! Might do a few bottles without any aroma hop it's that good. I'm still dipping my toe in ag so I'm easily impressed but I think I could drink half of this straight from the fermenter tonight and enjoy it more than some kits I've done!

Bottled this today. Batch primed 7g/L dextrose, split in 2 and added a hop tea to each made with 7g either styrian or savinjski goldings. Got 9 bottles of each and 1 made up from a mix of the 2.

Now to wait.

Back