Internet Provider - Any recommendations?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I’m probably going to change Internet providers in the near future as I haven’t had a steady Broadband link for nearly a week.

My current provider is TalkTalk and after a week of waiting for a connection and installing a new Router they tell me that they will need to mobilise an Engineer.

“Hooray!” I think but then I get a text that lays out a list of fines that I will have to pay if there’s something wrong inside my home! The list includes the new Router being broken; this being the Router that UK Mail left out in the rain overnight and told me that it had been “delivered and signed for at 2.38am”!

All I need is Broadband and Home Phone so any particular recommendations please?

It might be worth asking your neighbours who they are with and if they are happy with the internet speed. If that isn’t that important to you then I’d just go for the cheapest, I’ve heard horror stories and praise in almost equal measure for just about every provider! I now have BT for instance and think it’s good, and I had Talktalk for years with no issues (and actually found their customer service team worked well, which many people don’t experience!)

Not the most helpful, sorry!

Dutto I am a Talk talk customer and recently had problems with my connection it turned out it was the ancient master socket that was the problem this was replaced free of charge when the engineer visited to test my line, if you haven't changed anything inside the house I wouldn't worry about the charges and do not see how they can charge you for a faulty modem they supplied, have got a crystal clear phone line?

I have bt and they have been good. Apparently loads of good deals out at the moment with fibre and phone around £20 a month. Check money saving expert

I'm on EE. We got 4 mobile phones;2 I pads, tablet,2 x boxes, sky,wii x 2,nintendo switch,laptop;all running on it. It occasionally drops out but fixes itself but generally can't be that bad as the kids would soon moan as they do lots of online gaming.

Also a vote for plusnet. Been with them for years - good prices, no download limits, good customer service.

I am with Plusnet and they are good, if you pay for the year up front they will offer discount. You can also do a deal with them over the phone when your contract runs out for the following year.
The only other I would go with is BT.
Call centre is up north and the staff are well trained and polite.

I've been with plusnet for 18 years, can't fault them at all during that time.
Talk Talks share price has tumbled over the last 6 months or so amidst a few profit warnings which is never a good sign that all is well and they have always had a bad rep RE there customer service for years.

Depends what you use it for really. I switched to Virgin from Sky in December and it’s like night and day.

I'm with Virgin Media. Our internet also cut out in our old place and they sent an engineer round straight away. He quickly traced the problem back to a specific wire, which it transpires had been nailed into the wall. Right through the centre of the wire. It hadn't been a problem until damp came through that wall and the nail rusted. They sorted it out straight away, installed new cabling no questions asked and we were right back with a super-fast connection. Not the cheapest option, but I've had success bartering the price down on a couple of occasions when the contract was up and, honestly, you get what you pay for.

I'm with Virgin Media. Our internet also cut out in our old place and they sent an engineer round straight away. He quickly traced the problem back to a specific wire, which it transpires had been nailed into the wall. Right through the centre of the wire. It hadn't been a problem until damp came through that wall and the nail rusted. They sorted it out straight away, installed new cabling no questions asked and we were right back with a super-fast connection. Not the cheapest option, but I've had success bartering the price down on a couple of occasions when the contract was up and, honestly, you get what you pay for.
Trouble with virgin media who I am with are they are starting to take the **** with their prices,2 years ago I was paying around £28 now its .around £43 and I only have landline with other than having the 0845 numbers jack **** else so im Musing myself over changing oh and I've done the loyalty retainer call 3 times now

Last edited:
Trouble with virgin media who I am with are they are starting to take the **** with their prices,2 years ago I was paying around £28 now its .around £43 and I only have landline with other than having the 0845 numbers jack **** else so im using myself over changing oh and I've done the loyalty retainer call 3 times now
I’m only about £10 more than that and I’m on their biggest TV package!

We're with EE and have had mega problems for a year though it's fixed now. I have to say EE have been excellent throughout and it wasn't their fault but BT openreach who were frankly hopeless. Or at least pretty unwilling to do anything other than bodge the line to try and get it going again. We're 3 miles from the exchange so that's a lot of bodges...

I used to be with Virgin and always had to ring them at the end of twelve months to get the price back down. It did tend to work but I agree their end of contract price rises are huge. They aren’t available on the street I live on now or else I’d still be with them.

We were with BT for years', no problems apart from their constant price rises. Now with Sky on their £25 a month for 18 months. Again can't complain.

On our old house we were with Virgin for a time, despite paying for 50MB broadband we were lucky if we managed to get dial up speeds in the evenings. This was apparently as we were in an area of "high utilisation", which is basically virgin code for we've signed up to many customers, tough luck! We did keep getting free months from them to compensate, although all we wanted was broadband!

Latest posts

Back