Internet Provider - Any recommendations?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you can get into your router stats you will be able to see your line speed.

Try running speed tests with your router directly into the test socket and the phone not connected this will eliminate any other wiring in the house then if it improves try with the phone connected with the router to the test socket, the more info you can give them the better, I would still join the community forum and start acthread explaining what has happened so far to get the ball rolling in case phone support hits a brick wall.

I've given that a try by unplugging the phone and no improvement! i.e. Still at 6.9Mbps.

As I only have a MacBook Air and an iPhone, both of them without an ethernet connection, I can't plug them directly into anything with the cables I have to hand.

It's a real pain!

Good news (hopefully) is that I have had a connection for a full 24 hours now and the new Router is due for delivery between 1 and 2pm today! :thumb:

I've given that a try by unplugging the phone and no improvement! i.e. Still at 6.9Mbps.

Its not just the phone you are eliminating by plugging directly into the test socket there may also be old wiring attached to the master socket that could be causing a problem, its worth giving the test socket a try even if just to prove everything that side of things is OK.

Keep your fingers crossed its the D-Link.

It's a Model DSL-3782 Super Router

I've fitted it and it's working okay so far but with no improvement to the Mbps which are still at 6.6 to 6.7.

TalkTalk reckon that the Router needs time to settle down for a few days so IF the Router stays on all the time over the weekend, I will give them a bell on Tuesday and spend some time seeing if they can make any improvements.

As always, I am impressed at the knowledge displayed on this Forum so Many Thanks for all the input. :thumb:

BTW, today I decided not to bother the neighbour who may have a spare "wired" phone. His wife isn't very well so I reckon he has enough problems without having to search his garage on my behalf.

You have the best router they now supply so you can now rule that out, whhat speeds were you getting before the trouble started?

Can you get into your router settings and see what your line speed is showing if not I will give you the info tomorrow when I am back on the PC. (Or maybe a forum member may be able to help to save time)

My gauge on selecting the provider for internet is based on your local exchange.

It because it’s all about if BT own the exchange and all the equipment in it.

In short if it’s BT own exchange they “limit” the performance of “other providers” to ensure the BT users get maximum bandwidth at high volume peak periods. I know this because I’ve tried talk talk and sky via the same exchange. And then BT and the difference was huge. You can check you exchange here

https://availability.samknows.com/broadband/exchange_search

It’s a great resource to help with your home B.B. and as some others have said, for new customers there are some great deals on 75mb unlimited B.B. with BT these days.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It's a Model DSL-3782 Super Router

I've fitted it and it's working okay so far but with no improvement to the Mbps which are still at 6.6 to 6.7.

TalkTalk reckon that the Router needs time to settle down for a few days so IF the Router stays on all the time over the weekend, I will give them a bell on Tuesday and spend some time seeing if they can make any improvements.

As always, I am impressed at the knowledge displayed on this Forum so Many Thanks for all the input. :thumb:

BTW, today I decided not to bother the neighbour who may have a spare "wired" phone. His wife isn't very well so I reckon he has enough problems without having to search his garage on my behalf.
You unplug your router and switch it off,why?

Yeah, if you keep switching a router on and off, the exchange automatically decreases your connection speed as it thinks your line is having issues with the higher speeds. Always keep a broadband modem switched on.

Yeah, if you keep switching a router on and off, the exchange automatically decreases your connection speed as it thinks your line is having issues with the higher speeds. Always keep a broadband modem switched on.
was not aware of that fact but its the one thing I leave on 24/7 all year round,i do though switch all otherstand bys off when not using the equipment like teles and microwave

+1 on that. Its important its left on at all times.
For those of us on copper wire if you are going to reboot it at all do it the middle of the day, with the sun out... no really! These conditions give minimum effective infrastructure resistance and allows the exchange equipment to hook up to the highest speed it will allow given the settings it has for your line.
When TT start out with a new or revised installation the kit starts at a conservative high SNR setting (which sets a lowish speed), then after a while if the exchange kit decides that things are stable enough it may drop to the next SNR setting which will give a higher speed but potentially more drops outs. And so on until its all optimised... you hope.

You have the best router they now supply so you can now rule that out, whhat speeds were you getting before the trouble started?

Can you get into your router settings and see what your line speed is showing if not I will give you the info tomorrow when I am back on the PC. (Or maybe a forum member may be able to help to save time)

I haven't a clue what the speed as before the 28th February this year. Enough to watch live American Football for 4 hours without interruption and was happy with it!

The TalkTalk engineer said that when the new Router was installed to give them a ring and "we" will go into the Router via the "admin" facility and tweak it.

As I said, I'll give him a phone call on Tuesday and see what h wants "us" to do.

I must have written the comment wrong. Sorry. Apart from when I've been trying to get the Router to work or switching it off to install a new one, the only time I ever "switch it off" is when we are leaving the house to go to France. (Number One Son, who occasionally stays in the house when we go away, gets really miffed; but he can use his phone!):thumb:

My gauge on selecting the provider for internet is based on your local exchange.

It because it’s all about if BT own the exchange and all the equipment in it.

In short if it’s BT own exchange they “limit” the performance of “other providers” to ensure the BT users get maximum bandwidth at high volume peak periods. I know this because I’ve tried talk talk and sky via the same exchange. And then BT and the difference was huge. You can check you exchange here

https://availability.samknows.com/broadband/exchange_search

It’s a great resource to help with your home B.B. and as some others have said, for new customers there are some great deals on 75mb unlimited B.B. with BT these days.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Correct me if I’m wrong but don’t BT (well openreach but it’s the same really) own most of the exchanges, and sky etc install their own equipment in the exchanges?

They are then using their own “backhall” with bt just providing the link from the exchange to the customers home?

I haven't a clue what the speed as before the 28th February this year. Enough to watch live American Football for 4 hours without interruption and was happy with it!
Are you on copper wire or fibre?
If you are on fibre I would have thought you should be doing better than 6.8Mbps.

Correct me if I’m wrong but don’t BT (well openreach but it’s the same really) own most of the exchanges, and sky etc install their own equipment in the exchanges?

They are then using their own “backhall” with bt just providing the link from the exchange to the customers home?
Spot on

Yes, that's what i meant in a more eloquent way.

And that's where it comes from. If Talk Talk are "renting a space and bandwidth" off of BT back haul kit they inevitably end up being "throttled". Whereas if they have their own hardware in the exchange, maintaining bandwidth is allot more within their control. You can gauge allot of that down to if the exchange has been fully digitized, and for how long. Because if it hasn't been upgraded now other provider will have kit in it yet.

was not aware of that fact but its the one thing I leave on 24/7 all year round,i do though switch all otherstand bys off when not using the equipment like teles and microwave

Why?

I'm agnostic about the microwave but I was under the impression that turning things like TVs and computers off at the wall was harmful to them, owing to the way the circuitry works these days. I know there were reasons for switching off the old CRT TVs - because they retained a lot of power in standby mode and therefore ran the risk of fire, but modern LCD / LED TVs use a tiny fraction of the power.

......... but modern LCD / LED TVs use a tiny fraction of the power.

Tha's not from these parts then?

Lunnun (i.e. anythin south of The Wash) would be my guess!

It's that "tiny fraction" that us northerners worry about ever since that man from Coleman's Mustard said that he was a millionaire because of the amount of mustard that people (usually them from darn sarf) leave on the sides of their plate! :thumb:

Tha's not from these parts then?

Lunnun (i.e. anythin south of The Wash) would be my guess!

It's that "tiny fraction" that us northerners worry about ever since that man from Coleman's Mustard said that he was a millionaire because of the amount of mustard that people (usually them from darn sarf) leave on the sides of their plate! :thumb:

Well I do heat my 12-bedroom house by burning £50 notes and poor people doused in vanilla oil.

But if these things use 0.2w on standby, it costs less than 50p to keep it on standby all year. Plus with TVs being as clever as they are these days, I would think the reboot sequence to fire up the Android operating system or whatever it is uses a fair amount of power, and possibly enough to negate the saving to be had by switching it off at the wall. I dunno.

Back