Internet Provider - Any recommendations?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dutto, you might like to ring them again, .............

Thanks for that and all of it had crossed my mind with the exception of being polite or cheerful! :wave:

If Mt Khan the eye surgeon, gives me the okay for the new lens in my left eye (so far it feels just fine :thumb:) I will be activating my "Signing Off " Post at the end of next week.

Normally, I am fairly patient with stuff like this and if I was staying at home I would just cancel the Direct Debit and tell TT to go and put their Broadband where the monkey keeps his nuts.

Legally, there are two parties to a contract and both of them have to receive the "benefits" that are contracted. In this case, the contract is that I pay TT money and TT provide me with Broadband. In my opinion, TT have broken their part of the contract for nearly two weeks and it is therefore void.

However, the problem with being away from home is that if TT start any legal proceedings to make me pay until the end of the contract, I would be unable to respond and Courts always favour a plaintiff if the defendant fails to attend.

This morning, the TT engineer "tweaked" the Router and then told me that it would take "at least ten days" to sort itself out. In ten days time, I'm hoping that the Router is switched off and I'm heading for Portsmouth! :thumb: :thumb:

This morning, the TT engineer "tweaked" the Router and then told me that it would take "at least ten days" to sort itself out.

They are bullshitting you. An ADSL lines profile will build and settle at the exchange end much more quicky than that. 72 hours would be generous. 12 hours about normal. Unless TT aye saying they are so incompetent that it takes them 10 days to pull their finger out and get openreach to delete an older profile that is 'stuck' and needs removing to force router and exchange to start a fresh negotiation. In which case, they are not acting reasonably, and it's ofcom time again.

God it winds me up the way some telcos try and get away with this nonsense.

PM me if you get stuck with them. I do this sort of thing a lot add part of my job and have heard most of the BS before.

Of course that are!

It's taken TT nearly 14 days since I reported the problem and in the interim period I have received and installed two new Routers, sent back two Routers, spend the best part of 12 hours on the phone to various ladies and gentlemen in the Philippines and finally blew my top with some poor sod who did the "tweaking" today!

Incompetent? Sir, you are being much too kind to TT. :wave:

I've already been to:
  1. Ofwat about Anglian Water. This was after Anglian Water changed my Contract with them and added a Standing Charge to my Bill. The Standing Charge counted for 40% of what they were charging me so I protested to Ofwat, who told me that Anglian Water were allowed to do it! I finally won my fight with them by going to arbitration with CC Water who told Anglian Water's that they had to reimburse me the Standing Charge and take me off a Metered Supply if that was what I wished. This argument took over eight months!
  2. Ofgen about Scottish Hydro who were threatening to take me to court and shred my Credit Score for the non-payment of non-existent Bills that were presented ONE YEAR AFTER I had cancelled my contract with them, which had been sent to an empty plot of land in Scotland and based purely on "Assessed" meter readings! Ofgen suggested that an apology from Scottish Hydro was sufficient! I managed to get over £200 in compensation for my trouble by going direct to Scottish Hydro and threatening them with a long campaign of complaint!
  3. Ofgen about SSE. This was after SSE dumped EBICO and then tried to screw EBICO by offering so supply me with Gas and Electricity without a Standing Charge. The reason I quit SSE and was with EBICO in the first place was that SSE had introduced a Standing Charge and more or less told me that if I didn't like it I could leave. On this occasion, Ofgen were about as useful as a chocolate fireguard in stopping SSE from screwing EBICO, who nearly went under as SSE stole their customers!
Thanks for the input and your offer, but please believe me that I have neither the time nor the inclination to take any problem that I have with TT to Oftel.

Like a shop in the high street, TT only get to screw me once and after that I take my business elsewhere! :wave:

Again, many thanks for the input and the offer! :thumb:

• Already charge me over £28 a month for the 6.9Mbps.
Thats hardly their fault if you do not keep an eye on the prices they charge how can you blame them for taking the money you agreed to pay?
  • Have never offered to upgrade my service in the last two and a half years.
Why would they do this they have 4.5 million customers and they constantly get moaned at for sales spamming customers with offers, I assume they think customers who want an upgrade will contact them as i imagine most do.
  • Haven't sent anyone out to check the BT line that I just know is the problem with the intermittent fault.
You were in conversation with them I advised you join the community in case phone support failed I take it you didn't bother.
  • Have had me jumping up and down like a monkey on a stick trying to sort something out that isn't anything to do with the inside of my home!
They offered to send an engineer out but you were worried they may charge you if they found something inside your house I assume as they have not visited you declined the offer even though you say yourself the problem is not inside your house.
  • Added the insult of sending me loads of mail to the effect that new customers get a much better deal that I do.
Did any of this mention fibre broadband?

To finish I will add I am not a TT fanboy but sometimes they get a bad rap where it's not warranted, 6.9 Mbps is not a bad speed on ADSL (I have seen much worse speeds for many isp's on thinkbroadband) you have made your decision and I wish you well fingers crossed your line problem doesn't migrate with you.

Last edited:
Have you been talking to SWMBO; who always blames me for anything that goes wrong within a 10 mile radius of wherever I am located! :thumb:

I first reported the fault to TT at the end of February but, on the basis that it would be fixed in three days, I didn't register a "complaint".

After it still wasn't fixed after three days I again phoned them and yet again I was promised it would be fixed within the three days and yet again I didn't register a "complaint".

It wasn't, so I yet again phoned them and this time I "complained" and they promised me an engineer who would be arriving twelve days later. The text they sent me stated " ... if the system is working as it should, there will be a £50 charge." As it was an intermittent fault there was at least a 50:50 chance that the system would be "working as it should" when the engineer arrived, so I pointed this out to TT and told them that I would not accept this charge.

This was apparently a "refusal" to have an engineer check out the system!

As I will be away from the end of next week, both the Cancellation Fee and the potential "charge" are within a few quid of what I will have to pay anyway, so I decided to seek out another IP.

TT have never mentioned "fibre" on the two occasions that I have renegotiated my contract. When I first joined them they told me that it wasn't available where I live and they have never offered it to me since that time.

From my first phone call, the ball was always in TT's court and (to keep up the analogy) "They dropped the ball." and lost a customer that has handed over at least £1,500 worth of his pension in the last three and a half years!

Vodaphone will have to be a truly **** company before I start to regret leaving TT. :thumb:

As I said many posts ago post in the community forum in case phone support lets you down there is no reason to have to wait 12 days for an engineer mine came to the house a couple of days after I phoned I assume as I was also discussing my problem on their forum the OCE's chased it up for me.

Last edited:
My Mrs was talked into changing to TT over the phone. I decided we weren't. In the meantime all the stuff came to sign to change etc so I phoned them and said we weren't changing. They became arsey and mentioned contracts;which I knew nothing about,and how my broadband would stop...I let them waste their time for a couple of weeks..then pointed out they had asked my wife to change a contract that wasn't in her name...I never heard from them again.

TT really don't do themselves any favours, their broadband packages are competently priced and quite a lot cheaper than some of the big named suppliers with unlimited downloads and stable speeds, if you are lucky you may never need phone support if you do i would suggest giving it a miss and using their live online chat which is very good or the TT community forum.

Had 6.9Mbps earlier today.

TT Speed Checker now telling me that there is a "Plug Connection Error" and won't run a check!

Crazy or what!:thumb:

PS

Back to 6.8Mbps less than 10 minutes later!

I'm just glad that I'm not trying to watch an American Football Game!

As I said many posts ago post in the community forum in case phone support lets you down there is no reason to have to wait 12 days for an engineer mine came to the house a couple of days after I phoned I assume as I was also discussing my problem on their forum the OCE's chased it up for me.

There was a couple of obstacles to getting on to the Community Forum. 1) The Broadband kept dropping out. 2) When it was in place it could take forever to send and receive a message on Chat with the TT crowd.

The time for an Engineer is still on my phone 'cos I was asked by text and told of all the possible "Charges" at the same time. I've just checked and it was 12 days. Maybe Skegness isn't near the centre of the IP universe? :thumb:

The symbol was first used by a Welshman

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180314-214135.png
    Screenshot_20180314-214135.png
    119.1 KB · Views: 64
The symbol was first used by a Welshman

That's called "reverse engineering". i.e. If you know an end result (in this case 3.141 ..... ∞) the way in which it comes about can be calculated.

However, to demonstrate why the D÷R will always produce a number with an infinite number of decimal points there are only two options:
  1. Physically measure and calculate every possible variation by measuring the circumference of a circle and then dividing it by the radius. or
  2. Explain the relationship between a square and a circle that will fit inside it. No matter how large you make the square, or how small you make the divisions within it, the circumference of the circle will always pass through only parts of some of the tiny squares; and no matter how close the circle gets to the edge of the square, a magnification of the area will reveal that there will always be extra space so that extra (even smaller) squares can be added to increase the decimal points to the formula 3.141 ..... ∞.
BTW as a lad (in the days when we used fractions rather than decimal points) the alternative to π = 3.142 was π = 22÷7.

However, using a modern calculator, π = 22÷7 = 3.142857 whereas π = D÷R = 3.141592.

Any idea why there is such a large difference?

My last speed check was ten minutes ago and returned 6.84Mb Download and 0.87Mb/S Upload.

I got my last Bill from TalkTalk and it was for £39.10 which seems a bit steep seeing as we were in France until last week!

In 15 minutes I switch over to Vodaphone and will check the speed tomorrow night. The monthly bill for Vodaphone is £25 a month for Broadband with Evenings and Weekends free phone calls.

Here's hoping that they deliver on their promises! :thumb:

<>
BTW as a lad (in the days when we used fractions rather than decimal points) the alternative to π = 3.142 was π = 22÷7.

However, using a modern calculator, π = 22÷7 = 3.142857 whereas π = D÷R = 3.141592.

Any idea why there is such a large difference?

It's about a tenth of a percent, not really a large difference. Both work in the average lifelike situation.

Vodaphone up and running! New figures v. Old are ...

6.84Mb/s Download now 36.53Mb/s
0.87Mb/S Upload now at 6.57Mb/s

... at a much lower price than I was being charged by TalkTalk!

Here's hoping it stays this way! :thumb:

The figures you quote show there was something very wrong with your TT connection if your line is capable of those speeds, i am on the Talk Talk 38Mbps capped FTTC package and these are my speeds, a lot of the tests show burst speed as the maximum i would be interested to see your results using this test - https://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest (no postcode required double click run test)

These are my results from today on the Talk Talk package i mentioned above showing average speed of 37.1 Mbps.

1529679791761148355.png

Last edited:
I knew that TT could have improved the speed due to earlier Posts to this Thread but TT seemed to think that I was a captive customer!

I'd been with them for over three years and my last Bill was at £38.10 for a month when we were in France so this milch-cow has gone elsewhere!

Since moving to Vodaphone, TT have sent me so many snail-mail and emails that it was verging on harassment; and apparently all they had to do was tweak something in my local exchange!

There's no doubt about it, the days of a "Loyal Customer" being rewarded for their loyalty are long gone!

TT's phone support is not the best i found their support forum a much better experience and would advise any members having problems to give it a try.

Good providers actually don't need a good helpdesk. If it works, it works and will keep on working.
Unless some builder cuts a cable, in that case they need an auto-reply system that says: "A builder cut the cable. It will work again after the cable has been fixed. Have a nice day."
Source: worked for years on a desk.

Latest posts

Back