IPA - RO WAter Treatment

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here you go. There is anothe I need to pdf first.

Attachments

• AMS-Rev-7.pdf
    456.1 KB · Views: 0
  • DWB-TDS-2018.pdf
    765.9 KB · Views: 0
  • Little book of Liqour_135x155mm - final.pdf
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
Bonkers easy.

I have absolutely worked my doodahs off to get brewdays down to as easy and quick as poss with compromising beer quality....I just hope the beer is as good.
I’m assuming that you still mash your grains? and then do you just skip the boil and go straight to fermentation?

Yes .... Adding the hops is v different. They go into the mash and then into a hop stand at 82c, which would normally have been post boil. Bonkers. Let's see what it tastes like.

Well, I’ve managed to get myself a PH meter and just out of curiosity i check my tap water and got the reading 162 PPM, can anyone tell me what this means please?

A TDS meter detects the Total Dissolved Solids in a liquid where as a PH meter tests the acidity or alkalinity of a liquid. Hope that helps

Technically no. A TDS meter is very good for testing your water quality and at 162 that is a good reading.

A pH meter will also be useful and a salifert test kit or some clinistix

Murphys report, DWB and AMS is certainly an easy was of doing it.
That’s the way I’ll be doing it with todays brew as I’ve finally managed to free some time up to get the Neck Oil clone kit brewed.

I’m looking at a 28ltr mash and sparge (14 & 14) which will give me 23 ltrs into the FV hopefully then maybe 18 to 19ltrs into the keg.

What quantities of DWB and AMS do i need to add?

Sadly it’s not as simple as that. Before you add any salts to your water you need to know what your tap water is like.
I had my tap water tested and generally use a mixture of tap and RO water combined with various salts to achieve the water profile required for the style of beer. I use the calculator in Brewfather to do this but there are plenty of other options out there.
This is the water profile that I use for my Neck Oil clone :-
Ca 60
Mg 5
Na 10
Cl 95
SO4 55
This is my choice and not necessarily the right profile I’m sure there are those out there that would do it differently. That’s what makes this such an interesting hobby

Good luck

Having re-read your OP I now realise you are using just RO water, again RO water can vary but only slightly. I have just plugged your numbers into Brewfather using only DWB and AMS as the salt additives and using the Auto setting it doesn’t really get anywhere near my target profile . That’s why I tend to use a blend of tap and RO water. Also I use several other salts as well as AMS and DWB and lactic acid.
Sorry for the confusion

Having re-read your OP I now realise you are using just RO water, again RO water can vary but only slightly. I have just plugged your numbers into Brewfather using only DWB and AMS as the salt additives and using the Auto setting it doesn’t really get anywhere near my target profile . That’s why I tend to use a blend of tap and RO water. Also I use several other salts as well as AMS and DWB and lactic acid.
Sorry for the confusion
Very confused now, but you are right, i will be using RO water for this one as i need to create some space in my garage so the water needs to go (be used)

OK so i won’t be able to match your profile, but surely adding some DWB & AMS will improve the RO?

Latest posts

Back