Is Electricity Cost An Issue Per Batch?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
While you may be paying through the nose for energy, looking at your house prices they are extraordinarily cheap.
[/QUOTE]
Thats because we don't have to snake and spider prove them :laugh8: :laugh8: :laugh8: :laugh8: :laugh8: :laugh8:

Brewing is by far the cheapest hobby I have. Even if it costs me £23 per 23L batch (which it doesn't, it's far cheaper than that), then that's much cheaper than all my other hobbies for a full day's activity.

And that's if I were to just brew the beer and give it all away. As it turns out, drinking my own beer means I don't buy beer from the supermarket at £1.80 per bottle, so this hobby actually saves me money. Cost never comes into it

I've just spent a couple of hundred bucks on imported beers to try though, so there's that. :D

Wife says how come you're still buying beer? Because I keep seeing recipes and want to know if I like them before trying to make something similar... 🙂

Whenever I tell anyone that I homebrew, the first thing they say is about cheap beer. TBH that's not why I do it. I brew because I enjoy the process and the constant learning curve. Secondly, I honestly prefer my own beers to those that I can buy in the supermarket. Cost comes third but when you consider the money I've spent on my kit and associated bits and bobs, I doubt I've actually saved anything compared to supermarket prices.

Energy prices are certainly a pain in the butt tho - our bills have gone up by 50% compared to this time last year.

Yawn.
About time I posted something tasteful and informative.
Just read this thread and was moved to check my own energy costs: horrified to see they've gone up from €0.16 per KWh two years ago to €0.1840! I reckon EDF is ripping off the Brits (they supplied around 30% of UK energy in 2020) to subsidise the local market. Price of gas has gone up from €27 for a 13Kg bottle of propane or 15Kg of Butane to just short of €30. I see that sacks of malt at HBC and GEB are creeping up, too. I've been stocking up and I'd recommend any home brewer with the wherewithal and the space to get two or three sacks of base malt in, to do so before we have another Chonobyl. Russia and the Ukraine are massive wheat exporters and if we can't count on them, we're not going to be planting barley when Europe needs bread.
That's my view anyway. The Wise One insists I'm far too optimistic.

But, at the end of the day, if I have to brew beer out of potatoes and old cornflake packets over a fire of sun-dried cow pats, I'll still brew beer.

Last edited:
Edited!
While you may be paying through the nose for energy, looking at your house prices they are extraordinarily cheap.
You're right there, Foxy, I keep an eye on the SMH and the Age from time to time, and the house prices over there are horrendous. Got family out there who were trying to buy, but I think they're thinking of trying the UK if he (Oz) can get a visa. Bad move. I know where I'd rather be- apart from the floods and the bushfires and redbacks and the snakes and the vampire koalas and all that, of course.

I've just spent a couple of hundred bucks on imported beers to try though, so there's that. :D

Wife says how come you're still buying beer? Because I keep seeing recipes and want to know if I like them before trying to make something similar... 🙂

My wife says the same thing lol! 😂

The dilemma I’m faced with is I could save around £4-£5 a brew by changing from propane to electricity but I’d have to spend around £160 to get an electric boiler (big enough). I do around 8 brews a year so that’s £32-£40 a year saving so 4 years to break even! Will I still be alive?

Most people think that our housing stock is very expensive ,it would be interesting to see some of your examples .
Over here the median price where I live is $1,000,000+, translates to roughly 500,000 GBP , a similar house of the median price would be about 200,000 GBP. Go out in the bush houses are cheap, ($2 to $300,000) but there is no work.

Latest posts

Back