Keeping corny kegs cold

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

m_rawdin

Regular.
Reaction score
I was wondering how people generally keep their corny kegs cold if they don't use a fridge. I have a fridge to keep my kegs in in the garage but want to move the keg(s) into the house from time to time for parties etc. It would be ideal if there was something similar to a heat belt that did the opposite and kept things cool.

If you are the stout British sort, the problem isn't so big. If you're the "other sort" and need temperatures to dull the senses you will need a fridge, or a "shelf-cooler" (pricey), or for temporary arrangements something like the afore mentioned "bin full of ice bottles" (frozen plastic bottles of water).

I do use "shelf-coolers" and am working on using the python supply to feed 3/8 plastic tube wrapped around the kegs (held on with and insulated with neoprene sleeves - corny keg "wet-suits" if you like, such as these http://www.angelhomebrew.co.uk/en/kegging/217-5-gallon-keg-insulating-sleeve.html). Apparently one wrap of tubing is good enough to cool a keg a few degrees below ambient temperature - more wraps will get the temperature lower or use the "product coils" to chill frigid (<7C).

(EDIT: Shelf-cooler - that's the same as a "flash-chiller" as mentioned in the next post).

Back