LME brew

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dave0w

Regular.
Reaction score
i have 2 cans of coopers medium LME, i was wanting to know if you have any quick brew to turn them into a nice better or ale

i was hoping it would be as easy as adding hops?

Yes of course, do you have any hops and what sort of hops / style would you look for.

I think @dad_oj_jon does these types of brews all the time and usually gets away with just a 15 minute boil..

i have some Tettnanger, Cascade and Citra how ever brew day is Thursday this week and i will be calling to the local brew shop so can pick up anything thats needed.

as for my brew style i will do what ever is thrown at me as long as its a light ale/ipa or bitter type beer.

Given your list, my first vote would be to do a single-hop Cascade brew - I love Cascade. Or you could do 2 separate 10L brews, one with Cascade and the other with Citra.

Anyhow, here's a suggestion for Cascade. I have brewed similar, suggest doing it to 18L with your 2 tins on malt extract, boil up 6-8L of water to do the hop boil then add into the FV along with the tins and make up with cold water.
- 50g Cascade boil for full 60mins
- 37g Cascade boil for last 10min
- 28g Cascade steep for 30mins, 10mins after flameout
- 28g Cascade dry hop for the final 4-5 days in the fermentor

Given your list, my first vote would be to do a single-hop Cascade brew - I love Cascade. Or you could do 2 separate 10L brews, one with Cascade and the other with Citra.

Anyhow, here's a suggestion for Cascade. I have brewed similar, suggest doing it to 18L with your 2 tins on malt extract, boil up 6-8L of water to do the hop boil then add into the FV along with the tins and make up with cold water.
- 50g Cascade boil for full 60mins
- 37g Cascade boil for last 10min
- 28g Cascade steep for 30mins, 10mins after flameout
- 28g Cascade dry hop for the final 4-5 days in the fermentor

that sounds like somthing worth frying, its nice and easy.
i also found 100g sealed bag of fuggle hops if that makes any difference

that sounds like somthing worth frying, its nice and easy.
i also found 100g sealed bag of fuggle hops if that makes any difference

Boil it , don't fry it :twisted:

Personally I wouldn't mix the cascase with fuggle.. I think cascade single hop is a nice simple starter.. give it a go.

Boil it , don't fry it :twisted:

Personally I wouldn't mix the cascase with fuggle.. I think cascade single hop is a nice simple starter.. give it a go.

:doh: no frying.

i will do this tomorrow, should i add extra fermentables or is the 2 can's ok?.
i would around 4%

:doh: no frying.

i will do this tomorrow, should i add extra fermentables or is the 2 can's ok?.
i would around 4%

3KG of LME at around 18L should give you an OG of around 1050
at 20L an OG of 1045

What % you end up with depends on yeast and attenuation but for 18L roughly 5% and 4.5% at 20

What yeast are you going to pitch?

i have a few packs of safale s-04, i will brew to 20L as 4.5%(ish) is fine for me.
A single hop brew as suggested above by Darrell would be a superb intro. Im a big fan of single hop brews...really tells you what each individual hop tastes like.

Yes of course, do you have any hops and what sort of hops / style would you look for.

I think @dad_oj_jon does these types of brews all the time and usually gets away with just a 15 minute boil..

yup here's a modded lme can recipe add a can of LME to both recipes....

I used us-05 for both but MJ's M44 yeast would also be a good choice (i've swapped over to it now from us-05

1 kg brewing sugar
250g candy sugar /
100g galaxy hops
boil hops for 15 mins.
top up to 20 litres bottled water. 5.12%

or

1kg brewing sugar
500g dark candi sugar
500g muntons dme - medium
100g citra - 20g at 15 mins 80g dry hopped 5 days before bottling
1 litre boiled water to rinse can
3 litres water for additional wort
Dry hop
Added candi sugar, brewing sugar and muntons DME to 3 litre chase spring water. boiled for 15 mins with 20g Citra pellets During this time had loosened LME in a pan of hot water with 1 litre boiled water to rinse can.

poured LME in FV with 1 litre water then added additional wort through sieve

topped up with water (some bottles from freezer) to 21.5 litres. 6.83%

if i was to do i 1 can 10L brew is it just a case of half of everything.

500g brewing sugar
125g candy sugar /
50g galaxy hops
boil hops for 15 mins.
top up to 10 litres bottled water. 5.12%

??

i sound like a total n00b but i have 100% brewed before :grin:

if i was to do i 1 can 10L brew is it just a case of half of everything.

500g brewing sugar
125g candy sugar /
50g galaxy hops
boil hops for 15 mins.
top up to 10 litres bottled water. 5.12%

??

i sound like a total n00b but i have 100% brewed before :grin:

you halve everything except the boil time :smile:

Latest posts

Back