Making a bread from beer yeast and spent grain

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jceg316

Landlord.
Reaction score
I've got into bread making recently and would like to make a recipe using beer yeast and spent grain. I've seen a few recipes which include one or the other, was wondering if anyone had a recipe which accounts for both?

TIA.

First if you are recently into breadmaking I can recommend the Panasonic breadmaker, We have had Morphy Richards, Kenwood and about three other makes and the Panasonic is in another league producing consistent loaves every time, and they are also better made. We also use Strong Canadian bread flour, beats the others by a long way.
Anyway, as far as your query I suggest you use a grain recipe, then use a conversion for dried to beer yeast, based on the flour in the recipe. If its any help in the good old days when you could buy solid moist bakers yeast from bakers shops the ratio was half an oz yeast to 1lb of flour, with a conversion of half that if using dried.

I once used yeast from a stout to make bread. Horrible. We couldn't eat it.

Last edited:
First if you are recently into breadmaking I can recommend the Panasonic breadmaker, We have had Morphy Richards, Kenwood and about three other makes and the Panasonic is in another league producing consistent loaves every time, and they are also better made. We also use Strong Canadian bread flour, beats the others by a long way.
Anyway, as far as your query I suggest you use a grain recipe, then use a conversion for dried to beer yeast, based on the flour in the recipe. If its any help in the good old days when you could buy solid moist bakers yeast from bakers shops the ratio was half an oz yeast to 1lb of flour, with a conversion of half that if using dried.
I have a Panasonic bread maker for sale £25 [emoji41]

Sent from my Kitchen Tap Room

Get the “do sourdough” book by Andrew Whitely and use the seeded loaf recipe in there. All you need to do is rinse the grain to get rid off any off flavours and stick it in the dough (no need to soak) at the ratio of 2:1 (dough to grain).

I have an old Aldi bread maker (6 to 7 years old) It made bread OK but not as good as I wanted......
Until I started to use it for kneading the dough only, 1 hour 30 min. programme, then knocking the dough back and letting it raise on a tray for 1 hour then bake in a hot oven 25 to 30 min. Now my bread is great!

I like to make the bread myself, I quite like kneading and folding etc. @Duxuk what did your bread taste of? Do you know why it was horrible?

I frequently use recovered brewing yeast for bread making (in a machine these days). Beer yeast isn't very suited for bread, but bread yeast these days makes such fluffy pap the "firmer" texture of beer yeast risen loaves is very welcome. If necessary (very fluid collected yeast) I let the yeast slurry settle for a day or two until its firm enough to need a spoon to dig it out. The separated beer might get chucked in too (if it's still sound). Avoid collecting the brown bitter granular stuff that's often floating about. I use about 30g in 500g of flour. And the remaining collected yeast needs chucking out after one or two weeks - it doesn't keep long.

I don't use the spent grain. Mashing only leaves mostly the pretty coarse barley chaff. I haven't got, nor want, teeth like millstones.

I like to make the bread myself, I quite like kneading and folding etc. @Duxuk what did your bread taste of? Do you know why it was horrible?
I've been away for a week so haven't been on the forum. It tasted bitter, especially the crust. I've made other breads using beer yaest and they were great so it was obviously just the taste from the stout. Maybe if the yeast was washed you could improve things but I had just chucked some trub in.

I make bread by hand but whenever I've tried to use trub it always goes wrong. However I can testify that kit yeast
DSC_0222.JPG
makes great bread.

They look fabulous LarryF. Bit of cheese and chutney on mine please!

Latest posts

Back