Mangrove Jacks M84 Bohemian Lager Yeast Slow Starter?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OlsBean

Reaction score
Has anyone had any experience with Mangrove Jacks M84 Bohemian Lager Yeast? I've very little activity after 48 hours, I'm not sure what to expect though, should I be worried or just more patient?

I'm doing a Lager Kit (Hammer of Thor) and decided for a bit of experience that I would swap the Ale Yeast it ships with for this one. I've added nothing to the kit, I brewed it a little short at 20L that is all and made my wort cooler than the instructed 20-25ºc. I re-hydrated the 10g yeast as per the recommendation on the packet before pitching it @ 14ºc , My FV has been sat @ 12ºc since then. There is little to no activity, it's now the start of day 3, the airlock is bubbling perhaps once every 5 minutes or so.

TIA

I used it a couple of weeks ago, and I also got a rather long lag, although I used the complete sachet, hydrated it and even primed it with some sugar. The build up of the kraüsen was very slow, from little islands, then more foam, and this slowly got thicker, and it was fully started after a day or three. The kraüsen kept for a day or three after that. Don't worry.

I used it a couple of weeks ago, and I also got a rather long lag, although I used the complete sachet, hydrated it and even primed it with some sugar. The build up of the kraüsen was very slow, from little islands, then more foam, and this slowly got thicker, and it was fully started after a day or three. The kraüsen kept for a day or three after that. Don't worry.

Thank you, fingers crossed and a note to myself to be more patient :lol:

Isn't that a strong beer? For a 5% brewed that cold i would of used 2 packs fermented cold. If its stronger maybe 3 or more. I would leave it and see what it tastes like after a week of fermentation then bump up the temp.

Isn't that a strong beer? For a 5% brewed that cold i would of used 2 packs fermented cold. If its stronger maybe 3 or more. I would leave it and see what it tastes like after a week of fermentation then bump up the temp.

Reasonably strong, target is 6% . I did not consider the need to add more yeast :doh:, still learning. I guess I will just have to see how it goes.

Reasonably strong, target is 6% . I did not consider the need to add more yeast :doh:, still learning. I guess I will just have to see how it goes.

Sorry i thought it was around 8% ABV. Generally lagers have 2 or 3 times the amount of yeast. Just be patient and it may come out all right. IF its cold its less likely to produce off flavours.

Sorry i thought it was around 8% ABV. Generally lagers have 2 or 3 times the amount of yeast. Just be patient and it may come out all right. IF its cold its less likely to produce off flavours.

I've got it quite steady @12ºc (Destruction's on the yeast say 10-14), it has taken off considerably now, bubbling away vigorously this morning. I was planning/expecting it to take around 3 weeks for the Primary. Then maybe bring it up to 18º for a few days, before Lagering for several weeks at 0.5º ? I'm still very new to brewing, this being my 6th brew and just wanted to mix things up a bit in an attempt to challenge myself a little more than previous kits I have done.

Once the gravity hits halfway you can raise the temp. Have a read of this method. http://brulosophy.com/tag/fast-lager/

Not read or seen that method before, it looks very interesting, I think though as this is my first Lager and I am still new to brewing that I will stick to my schedule but it's something I would definitely have a go at in the future.

I left my doppelbock with MJ84 two weeks in primary at 10° C, then moved it to secondary for a week at room temperature, then back to a colder place and now it sits in my garage until the end of the month.

I've just dry hoped mine, after 11 days in the FV, I took a sample at the same (10.032) so still some way to go, what I did notice was that was quite fizzy, is some carbonation in the Primary FV normal with Lager Yeast? Wondered if it had something to do with it bottom fermenting, or maybe an infection, although it tasted quite good.

Carbonation in your beer is normal in every fermentation. There is always an amount of CO2 dissolved in your beer. Since lager fermentation is at a lower temperature there is even more CO2 dissolved than in ale fermentation. When you take a sample, this sample will warm up and release its CO2.

Carbonation in your beer is normal in every fermentation. There is always an amount of CO2 dissolved in your beer. Since lager fermentation is at a lower temperature there is even more CO2 dissolved than in ale fermentation. When you take a sample, this sample will warm up and release its CO2.

Thank you chthon that explains it, (the lower temperature) it was much much more fizzy than I had seen with my past brews.

Latest posts

Back