Mangrove Jacks Pink Grapefruit IPA

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I’ve just bottled my Mangrove Jacks Pink Grapefruit IPA. It started off at 1052 and ended up at 1012, which I work out to be around 5.2% and that’ll be strong enough for me. It’ll also probably increase slightly with the secondary fermentation. The smells in my kitchen when I was doing it, were wonderful, and I’m looking forward to ‘quality assuring‘ the brew at the end of January.

I did run out of carbonation drops with 12 bottles of the 40 to go, so I just added a teaspoon of brewing sugar to the bottles. I’ll be interested to see if they have more carbonation, or less, as a result.

Enjoy your Pink Grapefruit IPA when it’s ready. It is a fantastic brew. I’ve done this kit twice and it was wonderful. I’ll be doing it again in the new year.

Thank you. How long do you usually leave it before drinking it? I was going to leave it at least 4 to 6 weeks after it’s cleared.
I usually leave mine for 2 weeks after bottling in an airing cupboard to go through secondary fermentation, then down to my garage to condition. I’ll try a bottle or two after 3-4 weeks in the garage.

Got this beer fermenting at the moment , went off like a rocket , Krausen shooting out the airlock for two days . Anyway smells great .

My question is , did any of you guys add to the dry hop or you just used the supplied amount which I think is 25g each of cascade/simcoe .
Cheers

Hiya Gibbo,

I jusT added the supplied amount of hops and it came out really good. I opened the first bottle(s) last night and they went down very easily and my head this morning will testify to that fact. As you can see from the picture, it looks ok too.

Got this beer fermenting at the moment , went off like a rocket , Krausen shooting out the airlock for two days . Anyway smells great .

My question is , did any of you guys add to the dry hop or you just used the supplied amount which I think is 25g each of cascade/simcoe .
Cheers

Attachments

• E775D049-ED70-4B1F-94B0-C8A6E536FC4D.jpeg
    E775D049-ED70-4B1F-94B0-C8A6E536FC4D.jpeg
    42.2 KB · Views: 54
I usually leave mine for 2 weeks after bottling in an airing cupboard to go through secondary fermentation, then down to my garage to condition. I’ll try a bottle or two after 3-4 weeks in the garage.

Wow, you have the patience of a Saint. Once it's carb'd it's fair game!
Unless you are getting kit twang that you are hoping will fade in time, get it drunk whilst the hops flavour is strongest!

I actually tried a few bottles last night, and it was flipping lovely! I’m not sure it’s going to last past Christmas!

Unless you are getting kit twang that you are hoping will fade in time, get it drunk whilst the hops flavour is strongest!

I usually have about 2 kits ready to drink so can afford to leave a beer to condition for 3-4 weeks before I'll try a bottle. The Pink Grapefruit IPA is one of the best I have done so far. It is perfect after just 2 weeks of conditioning. I'm working at building my stash back up again.

I have to agree with you. This is one of the nicest kits I’ve ever done too. I’m going to have to start another one off pretty soon.

I usually have about 2 kits ready to drink so can afford to leave a beer to condition for 3-4 weeks before I'll try a bottle. The Pink Grapefruit IPA is one of the best I have done so far. It is perfect after just 2 weeks of conditioning. I'm working at building my stash back up again.

Having already ‘sampled’ a few of the bottles, I’ve decided I’m going to stick to just making this for the time being. I’ve only been home brewing for a few years, but the pink grapefruit IPA, is undoubtedly the nicest one I’ve ever done. Once I‘ve usually breqed a kit and it comes out nice, I move on and try another kit. However, this IPA is just too good not to do again and again and I’ve realised that 40 bottles is simply not going to be enough!

have brewed this many times before as well as doing my own recipe and it's consistently good and popular. from recollection have fermented in a keg in 7 days, force carbonated keg and drunk in as little as 9-10 days. have one on at the mo and added an extra 25g cascade when dry hopping.

Do you find the additional cascade hops make a difference to the final brew?

have brewed this many times before as well as doing my own recipe and it's consistently good and popular. from recollection have fermented in a keg in 7 days, force carbonated keg and drunk in as little as 9-10 days. have one on at the mo and added an extra 25g cascade when dry hopping.

yes I do think it makes it more flavoursome albeit, I'm wondering if it was too much cascade. perhaps adding more of the other hop instead may have been better

Did you find the taste and aroma improved if you left it a while longer? I’m asking because I had a few bottles over the Christmas period, and they were very nice. However, I have 25 bottles left, just tried one, and the flavour and aroma has improved dramatically. I can definitely taste more pink grapefruit, having left the bottles for another couple of weeks. The only problem now is that these bottles are not going to last that much longer, so I’d better start off the new Mangrove Jacks Pink Grapefruit kit this weekend.

Did you find the taste and aroma improved if you left it a while longer? I’m asking because I had a few bottles over the Christmas period, and they were very nice. However, I have 25 bottles left, just tried one, and the flavour and aroma has improved dramatically. I can definitely taste more pink grapefruit, having left the bottles for another couple of weeks. The only problem now is that these bottles are not going to last that much longer, so I’d better start off the new Mangrove Jacks Pink Grapefruit kit this weekend.

yes up to a point it will improve but left too long the hop flavour and aroma will dissipate.
sounds like its time for you to start a new one.
mine actually has not turned out as good as usual, in fact my last 2 brews have not been a great success but will post this separately.

I was going to start a new new one this weekend, but given we‘ve got good weather, the allotment is taking preference. I’ll probably now start it off next week, but I need a new brewing bucket. The one I have is only 25 litres, and given the amount of ’froth’ that the fermentation produces, I’m going to get a 30 litre ‘bucket’

I‘m sipping a bottle of the IPA now, and I have to say it goes very nicely with a Thai Green Curry.

yes up to a point it will improve but left too long the hop flavour and aroma will dissipate.
sounds like its time for you to start a new one.
mine actually has not turned out as good as usual, in fact my last 2 brews have not been a great success but will post this separately.

So brewed this kit mid December.
Was really tempted to tinker with it ( dry hop / water chemistry) but resisted and brewed straight out the box using RO water.
So bottled the whole batch , after two weeks the initial taste was decent , but couldn’t believe the difference after an extra week , the beer completely changed for the better was much smoother and the grapefruit was more prominent ..
So well pleased with the kit and will def do again.
Cheers 👍

Latest posts

Back