Mash temp too high

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bmass96

Reaction score
Happy VE day all!

I've had a mare with my mash temp. I BIAB and my kettle automatically heats and switches off the heat when it *thinks* it needs to. I set my mash to 65°C which was bang on, it was there for about 35 minutes for the 60 minute scheduled mash. I came back and it had shot up to just below 80°C!? Man I need a new kettle. I managed to get it down to 70°C and have now finished but I'm worried it's all a lost cause because of it.

Is there hope for it?

Cheers!
Ben

Nah I think it'll be ok mate, just carry on as normal.

I sometimes do a 30 min mash around 65degC and it works fine so I'm sure conversion will have been complete in your 35mins. I think effectively what you've done is a mash followed by a mash out step. I wouldn't be too concerned about it.

What kettle is it by the way?

as matt said you just did a "short" mash and mash out, 35 minutes should be good for a good majority of conversion. you may be off a bit on your efficiency but maybe not.

Nah I think it'll be ok mate, just carry on as normal.

I sometimes do a 30 min mash around 65degC and it works fine so I'm sure conversion will have been complete in your 35mins. I think effectively what you've done is a mash followed by a mash out step. I wouldn't be too concerned about it.

What kettle is it by the way?
Cheers Matt, that's a relief!

A "Hochkurz" mash?

If not, don't worry. That's just what you tell people drinking it. If there are brewers amongst them they'll soon be trying a "Hochkurz".

What yeast you use might be an issue, if it's something low attenuating. Whilst conversion may have completed, saccharification may not have got much further than dextrins.

A "Hochkurz" mash?

If not, don't worry. That's just what you tell people drinking it. If there are brewers amongst them they'll soon be trying a "Hochkurz".
Nope to it being hochkurz, but I'll keep it in mind, thanks lol

I too had a bit of a nightmare yesterday with mash temps. Strike was high for about 10 mins due to dodgy readings from pt100 probe that I put down to a loose connection to my PID. Glass thermometer said 73+ so I hastily stirred and shook it about and dumped in some cold water to get down to around 67°C.

I did an extended mash of about 80 minutes until temperature had dropped to 63°C in the hope that enzymes would kick in and break down sugars enough. Is that a reasonable approach?

Latest posts

Back