Memorabal Beer Moments

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stubrewworx

Regular.
Reaction score
Although I've had many beer moments I've forgotten, either by choice or... well you know; I have a few great memories which included a beer.

My favorite is probably an Altbier in Dusseldorf.

I worked until 12.30pm one Friday before returning home, packing a carry-on case and collecting my girlfriend on the way to Leeds Bradford Airport for the evening flight to Duss.

By around 21.30 we were in one of the brewpubs with a 200-250ml glass of fine Altbier in our hands, while Wolfsburg beating Bayern Munich played on the TV.

Fine moment.

What are yours?

A pint of Double Diamond in the now closed Bird in Hand in Ulverston bought by my Sunderland supporting Grandfather and sipped while we watched the 1973 FA Cup Final between Leeds United and Sunderland, i was 12 and got my a**e kicked when i got home and he got the biggest bollocking for buying it, happy memories.

Getting squiffy on three pints of Younger's No. 3 in the Clachaig Inn, Glencoe after climbing No.6 gully in perfect conditions.

Also a bottle of Dunkel in the main square of Heidelberg at dusk with my newly-wed wife.

Happy days.

Age 14, after being given a can of Sweetheart Stout at a family party and liking it, I persuaded all my mates to try it.

Screenshot_20190216-073659~2.png

6 of us in the woods, drinking it for a few hours and wondering why we weren't getting ******. I looked at the can and realised it was only 2% abv!! Night ruined and I was very unpopular for a while, I can tell you.

I'm just glad no-one else saw us. 6 lads thinking they're cool, but in fact drinking 'grandpa' beer. We'd have got beaten up.

First time I went to Belgium. Nine beers down when I stumbled into Drug Opera. Looked at the beer menu and thought Kwak sounded interesting. Delicious, just like all the beers that weekend. I think that was the start of my journey to try and taste all the worlds great beers. My journey continues...

My first taste of Westvleteren XII in Au Bon Vieux Temps, a 16th pub in Brussels with the sunlight drifting in through the stained glass window. It was pretty special.

Having to help hose down sick (not mine) from the school minibus the morning after a 6th form economics trip (I didn't even do economics) to the Mitchells brewery in Lancaster. The M6 back up to Carlisle proved too much for delicate teenage constitutions after a couple of hours in the tasting room...

It's always Belgium. They 'get' the enjoyment of beer better than anyone. All about the atmosphere, service, presentation and the beer itself.

Has to be, being served by the late, great Lisa at the In Der Welcome, Dworp. A perfectly cellared and poured Hanssens Gueuze, in the most lovingly cared for café. The place is legendary for a reason.

Going for a ****, in a urinal bolted to the outside of a privvy, in the back garden of said café, only added to the experience.

In 1986 I was in Munich with three mates for the Oktoberfest. We were having a lunchtime beer in the famous Löwenbrau Mathäser Bierstadt (now sadly a multiplex cinema) when the conversation got around (as it usually does) to football. An elderly German gentleman sat at the next table overheard us and joined in the discussion, which then moved on to the 1966 World Cup, of course! Then we got to the subject of club football and the German guy said his favourite English team was Stoke City.....which caused some incredulity on our part (they were then in the 2nd division).The penny dropped when I thought about this guys age...he was a huge fan of Stanley Matthews! He corrected me and referred to him as 'Sir' Stan (and showed us how he went around defenders, by making a 'fish swimming' move with his hand, with an accompanying swishing noise).
We met many interesting characters in the beer tents and bars, great memories.

Actually another Belgian beer memory that'll I'll not forget, me and the wife were in a very nice but rather dull, stuffy old bar in Bruges (I think it was Staminee de Garre), old men reading papers, classical music playing etc, until a group of about 15 Americans entered and filled the place, being rather loud and excitable, garnering some disdainful looks from the patrons and barman.

We got chatting to some of them, I offered some beer suggestions, then after 1 drink the barman asked them to leave cos they were being too loud. One of them said "don't worry, we tip well" and the barman said "I don't care, I'd rather you just left".

We left with them and went to another, more welcoming pub (Le Trappiste I think) and had probably the best night of the trip. I got more than a little drunk on a combo of Rochefort, Orval and Gulden Draak 9000 and it was brilliant, unlike the train ride and flight home the next day :confused:

Having to help hose down sick (not mine) from the school minibus the morning after a 6th form economics trip (I didn't even do economics) to the Mitchells brewery in Lancaster. The M6 back up to Carlisle proved too much for delicate teenage constitutions after a couple of hours in the tasting room...

Mine would be going on a 6th form economics trip to Brussels and Strasbourg. Visited the Stella brewery (great), Heineken brewery (not so great) and drinking Leffe in a bar near to the statue of the peeing baby thing, marvelling at how much care went into pouring a beer. I didn't vomit on the mini bus.

It's always Belgium. They 'get' the enjoyment of beer better than anyone. All about the atmosphere, service, presentation and the beer itself.

Absolutely, well put.

We went back in December for the first time in about 20 years, this time with a 15yo daughter in tow. On arrival at the basic-chain hotel, whilst waiting for said 15yo to get ready me and the missus had a couple of beers in the hotel bar, which punched well above it's weight in terms of decor and selection of beers compared to any other hotel in the chain I've been in. And after a brewery tour, 15yo was offered a small glass to sample, so father and daughter were able to enjoy our first beer out together. Another magical trip to Belgium.

Too many to mention, in brugge, antwerp, brussels, geneva, bakewell, berlin, cardiff.
amongst other places. and a couple on fast trains that involved erdinger & currywurst and duval and chocolate torte athumb.. I can die happy now :laugh8:

Latest posts

Back