Mini-kegs

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MacKiwi

Regular.
Reaction score
Does anyone have experience using the 5 litre mini-kegs with the built-in taps?

I'm not talking about the ones with the tap and co2 canister. I think these are the ones...

http://www.huber-packaging.com/en/bever ... eg-it.html
http://www.leylandhomebrew.com/item2602.htm

Some small commercial breweries are selling their beer in them now (Fyne Ales and Cairngorm Brewery, to name two in Scotland), and I've enjoyed using them - having a wee keg in the kitchen I can keep coming back to is quite nice. I appreciate that once opened there is air in the keg, and hence the beer has to be consumed quickly. To date, this has not been an issue...

How are they used? Do you treat them like a large bottle - ie: batch prime the fermented beer, fill and seal the keg, put somewhere warm for the secondary fermentation, and then somewhere cool to condition?

I'm planning on bottling a lot of what I brew, but having a few kegs would be nice (and would reduce bottling time), and this size seems easy to transport and share with friends. But it would be good to know if people use them, how they are used, how re-usable they are, do they explode if over-primed, etc...

Dunno, but if you find out they look good, not cheap, but a nice way to take a few litres to a party, and have a head on the beer.

If I use bottles to take my beer to parties I usually 'lose' half the bottles :(

I wasn't a fan of these. I struggled to get carbonation right and gave up in the end. Even lightly primed they produced nothing but foam for about 3 pints due the high pressure being forced out the small tap. Once they had settled down they do pour quite well.

Not a temperature issue as i chilled them for days before hand.

I sold them on ebay a few weeks ago. They went for twice what i paid for them so not a total loss.

That's really interesting Keevan. The ones I've had from small commercial breweries have been very lightly carbonated. I wonder if they simply use them as a vessel for selling/transporting beer that is already conditioned and carbonated, rather than using the mini-kegs as a home-brewer would use bottles (ie: a vessel for secondary fermentation, carbonation, conditioning and transport).

Do you think that the levels of carbonation were comparable to a bottle (or pressure keg), but because the beer was being driven out such a small nozzle, it was turning to foam?

Would opening the valve at the top have helped by reducing the pressure? Or did that result in beer on the ceiling?

I think you may be right about just a transport medium.

I tried using between 3 and 5g and each time there was a great amount of foam. I've tried the tap fully open and slightly open. Obviously slightly open created a jet of ale which turned immediatley to foam when it hit the glass.

Once the initial pressure was released, the ale was only slightly carbonated as initially intended. A bit less than the same ale bottled at the same time.

I never attempted to take the bung out. Instead of prying the bung out you could push the inner through (where the dispense tap goes). I can see this ending badly if the keg is highly pressurised.

I've only had mass foam once out of a bottle when i tried 2 Tbsp of sugar in a 500ml bottle of turbo cider :whistle: Never tried a pressure keg as i've only used bottles and have since moved onto cornelius kegs.

I bought the mini kegs with the same idea as you to take to friends, etc. Just didn't work out the way i planned

Thanks Keevan - I'll drop the idea. I suspect I'd have the same problems as you, so thanks for the advice.

I use them here in turkey - ex efes kegs. There are 2 taps one for pouring the beer at the bottom and the pressure release valve at the top. I carbonate with 70-80g sugar.
When ready to pour you need to open the top valve to let some of the presure out or it results in all foam. The trick is to do it slowly with the pressure valve but open the bottom tap fullly and dispense down the side of the glass at an angle - for more head run direct into the glass, as you get to nearly a pint start closing the pressure valve at the top - hey presto full headed pint of whatever! - Simples!! :cheers:

Ps do it slowly with the pressure or you will lose it all and result in flat ale, also best drunk in one session once opened as not much carbonation remains once you start letting it all out.

I use these as well. A keg lasts 3-4 days with a little careful balancing of the top valve as described above before the beer goes flat. I also use the taps available with the co2 capsules (which work with the red/black valves sold for use with easy-kegs) so I can start off using the integral tap, and then add the top tap if I think I won't finish the keg quickly enough. This will extend the life of the beer. I'm a fan of these as I don't have space for a corny set up, and I like to several beers on the go at once.

Ok, that sounds like what I was aiming for. I think a get a couple and see how I get on...

I like the sound of these, would I need to get the full set up or just a single keg and go from there?

Well, I don't know myself yet, but I'd planned on just getting a keg or two, and filling and conditioning them like you would a bottle. I don't think any special kit is required, and if it doesn't work out then I've only lost a few quid...

I'd start with an easy keg (with the integral tap) and see how you get on. If you find the beer spoiling because it's not being drunk fast enough then you can always get a top tap to attach to it, such as the Beer King 2000/Party Star Deluxe(?). I find the number of kegs/taps increases as and when I find new places to set them up without getting moaned at :) .

Latest posts

Back