More precise hydrometer

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pugh

Reaction score
Do any of you have any recommendations for a more precise hydrometer than the one that came with my first kit? 0.080 to 1.150 isn't really cutting it when I'm only really interested between 1.000 and 1.070!

Thanks in advance.

There are two in the range 1.000 - 1.060 and 1.050 - 1.100 but, with postage, come to £41.50!!! The DPD 2-day delivery is £11.50 plus VAT!!!

you could always use an ispindle and the readings go straight to your computer or phone without you having to even waste any beer testing it.

As @HiOctaine says, you could use an ispindel - once calibrated they seem fairly repeatable and reliable. Obviously you will need to use your existing hydrometer to calibrate it.

Americans must have much worse eyesight than ours as they seem to have lots of final gravity hydrometers around $20 whereas I could only find one at Amazon for £35!

Americans must have much worse eyesight than ours as they seem to have lots of final gravity hydrometers around $20 whereas I could only find one at Amazon for £35!

I've been looking for an FG hydrometer for ages. They don't seem to be a thing here.

I've been looking for an FG hydrometer for ages. They don't seem to be a thing here.
Stevenson Reeves Ltd supply hydrometers of every description imaginable, and you can read their catalogue on line. I have three, with scale lengths about 12 cm, and ranges 5 to 15, 10 to 20, and 40 to 50. Two I was given by a disgruntled brewer who had just been closed down by Ind Coop, and one I sent away for.

Don't know about that. I won't go near hydrometers however big they are. Not so much because what my failing vision can't see, more what it can see! (15 graduations to ten "gravity points? ... na, there's 12 now ... no, isn't that 18 ... etc.).

The item I use is much more precise than hydrometers, and has pretty much unlimited range (I checked the SG of 99% Isopropanol, 0.786, and 33% calcium chloride solution, 1.321, with it). It doesn't "emulate" a hydrometer, a hydrometer approximates what "it" is showing.

I do not seriously suggest it replaces hydrometers, especially for someone relatively new to the hobby. But you do learn about what SG is and the different flavours of hydrometer.

"Different flavours"? SG is SG i'n'it? Not at all, SG (specific gravity, or more accurately "relative density") has to be relative to something. Relative to what then?

Refractometers and temperature compensation. Warning, the link will eventually lead you off-site (to Jim's UK home-brewing forum) and there's a lot of information, some of which only really gels and becomes reliable from July onwards. I'm not talking about "refractometers" either!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back