Neipa hop tea

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The most striking part of your experiment is that as you added 500ml liquid and only recovered 200ml of hop tea, so you left 300ml of liquid behind absorbed by the hops. If you had added that to the brew as well you would have increased the hop 'goodness' yield by another 150%, plus the extra yet to be released by the hops.

Oh I agree however I didn't want to add the hop dust to my beer as I bottled it straight away...

As I said this is not a great experiment but might give some indications that it's worth pursuing !

When you just throw the hops in do they sink and compact to the bottom well ? Or do they stay that really fine dust ?

With my new brew I'm tempted to do as you've done, tea hop and chuck it all in before I cold crash...

When you just throw the hops in do they sink and compact to the bottom well ? Or do they stay that really fine dust ?
Initially the hop particles mostly float, but then as they get saturated they slowly sink over few days, to form a soft layer on the bottom of the FV.
Some people say that crash cooling helps.
For me it doesn't really matter where the particles are in the brew, floating, in suspension, or settled out because I filter them out using a nylon sock over the end of the siphon tube.

Initially the hop particles mostly float, but then as they get saturated they slowly sink over few days, to form a soft layer on the bottom of the FV.
Some people say that crash cooling helps.
For me it doesn't really matter where the particles are in the brew, floating, in suspension, or settled out because I filter them out using a nylon sock over the end of the siphon tube.

Thanks... See I've tried via filters in various stages and whilst it catches some it doesn't catch all ! Clearing the beer then becomes very problematic...

in the brewdog diy dog book it says to dry hop at around 12 degrees to get best results. i did recently do a punk ipa clone and when dry hopping i put the brew in shed wich temp was between 9c and 14c and i must admit the aroma and taste is much stronger than when iv dry hopped at like 20-22c.

in the brewdog diy dog book it says to dry hop at around 12 degrees to get best results. i did recently do a punk ipa clone and when dry hopping i put the brew in shed wich temp was between 9c and 14c and i must admit the aroma and taste is much stronger than when iv dry hopped at like 20-22c.

Nice tip... Generally dry hop around 18c which is my fermentation temp, I'll drop it next time

There a was a scientific paper referenced on here some time ago (sadly I cannot find it) which demonstrated that dry hopping at higher temperatures is more effective than at lower temperatures. I liken it to making a cup of tea with cold water rather than hot water; the hot water is better in extracting the 'goodness' from the tea leaves .
What I tend to do is do the first four days of the dry hop at fermenting temperature (about 19*C) and the last two or three at fridge temperature in a crash cooling phase.

Thanks... See I've tried via filters in various stages and whilst it catches some it doesn't catch all ! Clearing the beer then becomes very problematic...
I assume its only hop particles you are trying to filter out. I use one of these (but mine was from a Festival kit) which is very effective.
3 x Home Brew Nylon Straining Bag With Pull Cord Beer Hop Wine Making Spice Herb | eBay
You will not filter out yeast using normal home brew nylon or muslin bags, the pore sizes are several orders of magnitude too large. Time and gravity and yeast inactivity nearly always work though.

I assume its only hop particles you are trying to filter out. I use one of these (but mine was from a Festival kit) which is very effective.
3 x Home Brew Nylon Straining Bag With Pull Cord Beer Hop Wine Making Spice Herb | eBay
You will not filter out yeast using normal home brew nylon or muslin bags, the pore sizes are several orders of magnitude too large. Time and gravity and yeast inactivity nearly always work though.

I have aset of those already... Bought them in fact to boil hop with and found them far too small so bought bigger ones.

Still find lots of hop dust dragging through it...

Maybe I'll tie one on the bazooka and filter on teh way out... Might even catch some other stuff then.

Yeasties I'll always want through so not worried about them, we are friends :grin:

There a was a scientific paper referenced on here some time ago (sadly I cannot find it) which demonstrated that dry hopping at higher temperatures is more effective than at lower temperatures. I liken it to making a cup of tea with cold water rather than hot water; the hot water is better in extracting the 'goodness' from the tea leaves .
What I tend to do is do the first four days of the dry hop at fermenting temperature (about 19*C) and the last two or three at fridge temperature in a crash cooling phase.
aparently the lower temp causes them to sink so there is more contact with the hops and beer.

Latest posts

Back