New to beer but brewed some wine and felt every drop!!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

golder247

Regular.
Reaction score
Hello Everybody (Dr Nick Style)

Thought I should say hello, as a keen drinker and a far less keen spender I have decided that brewing wine is not enough, also the missus kept getting grumpy when I got so drunk I wee'ed in my hat. I have now, as a result, succumbed to trying beer. Started my new brewing life on the Royal wedding (lets face it more interesting).

Got myself some cheapo beer kit, £9 bargain bin thing to start me off.. in case of balls up. That is now conditioning and eagerly awaiting tasting... How long to condition... 6 months... I hope not. Also got back on the wine with 3 gallons of rhubarb and raisin. My rhubarb wine last year was very very pokey indeed and I spend a lot of time slurring and laughing as it got my geordie pal too drunk to talk. (and weeing in my hat). I thought I had a stuck fermentation when it stopped bubbling after 2 weeks so restarted it with stronger yeast ooops. Anyway, I also did greengage wine (3 gallons), Gooseberry wine (3 gallons) and marrow and ginger (3 gallons) the last was the best tasting.

I have a 5 gallon drum downstairs bubbling like a beastie with fiery ginger beer. Looking to bottle that soon and then got 2 cans of coopers lager and a coopers cerveza, along with 2 x 30 bottle kits for the missus (rioja and cabernet sauvignon) also thinking about the turbo cider, looks very cool.

I have 4 trees worth of apples already blagged so any cider making tips will be gratefully received.

That will probably do it. Thanks in advance for any help I find here and happy drinking to you all. Hurrah!!

Welcome to the forum golder :thumb: :thumb:

I usually ferment for a week condition in the fermentation vesel for another week (if you can put it into a clean second vessel all the better) then prime and bottle and condition in the bottles for 3-4 weeks then :drink: :drink:

Good luck

:grin: do you think you've got enough wine? Hehe, you must be eternally mullered, that's a fabulous intro!

I have the Cooper's Cerveza Bubbling away at the mo, smells great!

I might look into this ginger beer, as it sounds intriguing.

Am a newbie here myself :thumb:

Hey there other newbies and of course non newbie, thanks for welcoming me.

Ginger beer is definitely worth a try, I am a little worried about it being a little watery and dry (now there's a sentence that you don't hear often) but it definitely has a kick going on already. Taking a long old while to get through the first ferment day five now and it seems to be slowing a touch but not by much. The not having to condition it thing has to be a winner though. I am resolved to never buying beer from a retailer again (apart from a pub obviously)

Found an absolute winner with my bottles though all coming from my local pub, a good trade for some of my ginger beer when it is done. Supplying me and my pal with 200 x 500ml bottles each. Saves the bottles just being binned (I know, they should be recycled!! but that is another tale)

And I got a bottle corker at the carboot today for a whole shiny pound. If it wasn't for the hangover that is frankly kicking my **** today everything would be perfect.

What's next I wonder!!

Oh and Guy did you do the cerveza with the brew enhancing gubbins?? I am curious as to what it actually is and if it is really needed? makes the cost of the brew double and I am, well frankly tight, is there an alternative?

Back