NO dry hop

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

labrewski

Landlord.
Reaction score
Going to attempt a beer with no dry hop is it going to be a disaster
15g simcoe 60 min
15g galaxy 60 min
20 g of each 30 min
30 g of each 5 min
Any ideas

Move the 30min addition to 10mins?
I have done similar with Centennial instead of Galaxy a few times and been pleased with the results.
As hops isomerise down to 80C the timing of late additions will be impacted by how long it will take your system to get the temps down this far.

I personally would drop the 30 minute addition. Bring 5g of each forward to the 60 minute mark (to maintain some of the bitterness that the 30 minute addition would had given) and postpone 15g of each to 15 minutes from the end of the boil.

So...20+20 for 60 mins; 15+15 for 15mins, 30+30 for 5mins

That’s going to be a bitter beer depending on your grain bill, about 60IBUs from just your 60min additions I would think. What’s your expected OG?

You don’t have many hops in there and it’s a bit of a waste of Galaxy and Simcoe having so much for bittering. I’d be moving them later in the boil and also adding some more hops. I’d also be doing a flameout addition.

Nothing wrong with that it has become too much of the norm to dry hop everything. A lot of Pale Ales do not need a dry hop so it should be fine but check your IBU's it looks as it may be high as a guess but if you are wanting a bitter beer go for it

If you are trying to replicate in some way the flavour of dry hopping by adding the hops during the boil then I would suggest moving them to flame out or hopstand. If as others have suggested you end up with an unintentionally bitter beer by using large amounts of hops at 60 and 30 minutes then it could be a disaster depending on your taste.

I dont mind a bitter beer sometimes I like them then change and go mild

As Chris has said I hardly ever use bittering hops and go for late hopping and whirlpooling/hopstands @ 90c or 80c so as to get loads of flavour and less bitterness. The other thing which seems to go against what I learned was they used to say bitterness fades with age but I find when you have done a flavoursome beer as the flavour fades the bitterness creeps forward and the perception is that it is more bitter than it was hence they say drink hoppy beer early in their life IMO

As Chris has said I hardly ever use bittering hops and go for late hopping and whirlpooling/hopstands @ 90c or 80c so as to get loads of flavour and less bitterness. The other thing which seems to go against what I learned was they used to say bitterness fades with age but I find when you have done a flavoursome beer as the flavour fades the bitterness creeps forward and the perception is that it is more bitter than it was hence they say drink hoppy beer early in their life IMO
Totally agree what I'm drinking now started out fruity and sweet a couple of weeks and its changed completely to a bitter nearly dry beer

10 minutes additions can still give a decent flavour and aroma. My favoured hopping regime is to move late hops to the whirlpool and stand for 20mins at 75°C.
Dry hopping makes most sense if your beer is all about the aroma.

Going to attempt a beer with no dry hop is it going to be a disaster
15g simcoe 60 min
15g galaxy 60 min
20 g of each 30 min
30 g of each 5 min
Any ideas

I'd think about IBUs carefully and what you are trying to achieve as both of these hops come with alpha acid in the low to mid teens.

Personally I would reduce the 60 min addition to 5-10g of each but if you like it bitter then go for it. I would however push the 30 mins addition back to 15 mins and move the 5 minute addition to the whirlpool adding in whatever you cut from the 60 min addition.

I did an 11 Litre batch of galaxy smash and used something like:

5g @ 60 mins
15g @ 15 mins
25g @ flameout along with a dry hop but I could have done it all at flameout.

Latest posts

Back