Noob trying a turbo cider.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So 2 weeks after beginning my first turbo cider it appears to have stopped. There is approximately 2 inches of sediment at the bottom. Is this right?
Should I be looking to rack into a new dj for a week or 2 now?

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1405841970824.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1405841970824.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 145
Total respect man. I would get it drunk with me mates and get nover one one.

Looks very good to me.
I'd suggest leaving it until the sediment at the bottom compacts a bit and the brew is a bit clearer before racking. That way it will be much clearer earlier on and probably when you come to drink it. :D

Greetings

New in town.

Started my 1st DJ last night of TC.
Basically i followed a recipie I found on the net.
4 lts juice
half cup strong tea
1/s tsp pectolase
1 tsp yeast nutrient
sachet wilko's wine yeast
100grms sugar

SG was 1050 or so.

After just 1 hour it was bubbling.

Is this ok? No idea what i have created lol.

2nd DJ is planned as above but with wilko ale yeast (11g sachet) but id think i shouldnt put all that in? Any pointers?

Also DJ2 - Im thinking less sugar?

Again, any feedback will be appreciated!

Sounds ok. I used 250g of brewing sugar in my first TC, and I've upped it slightly in subsequent batches. I don't bother with pectalose on normal AJ from concentrate.
Do you have a local brew shop? Pots of cider yeast sell for about £3 - you'll get at least 10 brews from this, rather than sachets at £1 a time, plus it's the proper stuff. You may also want to look into adding a little acid - I use citric, but malic is the acid of choice. Still need to give that a go.

Aww thanks Five. Top words.

I was of the understanding that pectulose prevents clouding when the drink is chilled? I cant abide room temp drinks. I only drink cold cider. No offence meant to anyone.

No local brew shop im afrad i will try and find one near to LE11.

The proper yeast sounds like a good investment so again i will get that for future. Total "setup" costs for the first DJ were £33.48 incl all ingredients and 4 second hand DJ's so Im very pleased so far.

I bought some citric acid but was too scared to try it lol. Maybe i should use a tsp in the 2nd DJ?

Sounds ok. I used 250g of brewing sugar in my first TC, and I've upped it slightly in subsequent batches. I don't bother with pectalose on normal AJ from concentrate.
Do you have a local brew shop? Pots of cider yeast sell for about £3 - you'll get at least 10 brews from this, rather than sachets at £1 a time, plus it's the proper stuff. You may also want to look into adding a little acid - I use citric, but malic is the acid of choice. Still need to give that a go.

Ive added 1 tsp of citric acid in all my batches so far - no problems as yet. My TC brewed from concentrate AJ with sugar, and the one with honey, are both perfectly clear without pectalose. I've added it to my latest apple and raspberry, because the first batch had a really 'meaty' foam which didn't disperse.
With regards to the sugar, my thinking is this...if you brew 4.5l of 4.5% cider, you will get 8 or 9 bottles. You could demolish that in a night or two, meaning a constant brewing cycle. At 8%, you'll only take 2 or 3 bottles at a time, meaning you'll keep more in reserve. I've gone 8 demijohns now in just over a month...and the bottles put aside to age are getting fewer by the day!
I've not built up to a 23l batch of turbo yet, because 1) I like experimenting with different flavours (and you don't want 23l of a **** one), and 2) if it goes wrong, you've wasted £15 and most of the savings you've made on your previous batches.

Hi guys I too have a turbo on the go is juice from concentrate ok or is pure juice better, or do they both work the same ? I used pure , but plan to do a 23 L brew next time and it will be more expencive with Pure Jucec .

No local brew shop im afrad i will try and find one near to LE11.

There's one in Long Eaton if you can be bothered to travel that far. Cheers Homebrew. Website is a bit **** but they've got everything

Nice one Matt!

Yes thats fine for me as i work in Notts so its no bother on the way home one day.

:thumb:

There's one in Long Eaton if you can be bothered to travel that far. Cheers Homebrew. Website is a bit **** but they've got everything

So just a update. When it came to bottling I did 10, 330ml bottles. I did 5 with 1tsp of sweetener and 5 without. All 10 had 1tsp of sugar for carbonation.
I put all 10 in my garage in the warmth for a week then I took 2 bottles (1 sweet and 1 dry) and put them in the fridge. After a total of 2 weeks both were delicious and rather fizzy.

There wasn't much difference between the dry and sweetened I didn't think.
All round I am very pleased with the results.

Back