Novice Home Brewer with passion for Real Ale

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MobBarley

Reaction score
Hello everyone, like i said I'm completely new to the home brew scene but i've been enjoying sampling allsorts of alcoholic treats for many a year currently running barebones fermenting bin with Edme Irish Stout nothing major but recommended by a good friend as a starting point, will be ready in a couple of days :drink: I'm sure you guys can assist me in my progression from using kits to ingredient mixing etc but i,m in no rush gonna try a few kits first get a good feel for it. Anyways I'm sure i'll picking a few brains sooner or later.

Thanks

Matt

P.s is there any chocolate stout kits out there?

Hi & welcome on board!

There's loads of sound advice and vast range of experience on here and everyone has something to say that's worth listening to...

Chocolate stout? :hmm: not sure, you could try adding some essences or flavourings to a standard brew, mix your sugars up a bit, add a mug of strong coffee, pretty much anything is worth a go to get the flavour you want...

welcome to the MobBarley :D I like the name.
i havent seen any choc stout kits on any of my kit shopping trips but coopers irish stout is a good kit and if you want to choc it up you could add chocolate essence or maybe hot choc mix at the sugar adding stage.
im going for a coffee stout after trying a pint of double esspresso stout. :D

Welcome, welcome mr. barley

Enjoy making the kits. Im a recent convert to the all grain side of things and I'm not looking back. Be careful new boy, these boys welcomed me to the dark side a few weeks back, now I know what they mean, brewing is truly an addiction!

Hi, and welcome to the forum.

I would have thought that your best bet would be to use the Edme stout kit and also steep a couple of hundred grams of dark chocolate malt in hot (around 65C) water for an hour (put the grains in a muslin bag) or so then dump the liquor into your fermenter with your Edme kit.

The choccy taste doesn't (normally) come from the addition of chocolate but from the chocolate malt, which is partially caramalised in the malting process.

Back