Old P

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

keat64

Landlord.
Reaction score
I'm down to the dregs of my last kit beer, maybe have a few pints left, then the keg becomes free for my second AG..
I received Graham Wheelers book on Saturday and noticed it has an Old Perculiar clone.
Has anyone tried this and if so, how close is it.

First beer I drunk at a pub (in the lakes) and used to attempt to brew all grain clones back in the 70-80s! Even back then there was rumours it contained (primed with) treacle. I remember in my attempts replacing the treacle with molasses and later molasses sugar, and I also replaced black malt with chocolate malt.

More recently I started on a more sophisticated clone recipe. it came from "British Brewer" but appears to have gone now. There was rumours of it using "Belgium" yeast and I made the mistake of trying "Safbrew Abbey", a highly attenuative, and fast, yeast. Fermented down to 7%ABV (target was 5.7) in two days.

Needed plenty of time to mature, and had an interesting flavour that was not at all like OP!

I'll try again soon with a less dramatic yeast (Safbrew T-58, which still is very "estery", or even S-33). The recipe I had which I'll stick to is:

(Thomas Fawcett malt to be "authentic")
85.2% Pale malt
4.8% Crystal malt
1.2% Chocolate malt
1.0% Torrified wheat (they like a good head in Yorkshire)
0.8% Black malt

4.4% Dark candi sugar
1.9% Lyle's golden syrup
0.8% Molasses

21 IBU Fuggles
6 IBU Fuggles (last 20 minute of boil)

Wheelers recipe calls for Pale malt, crystal malt, chocolate malt.
Challenger, fuggles and golding hops.

No mention of molasses or golden syrup.

A very interesting article.
I looked up torrified wheat, so i might add this to the Graham Wheeler recipe.

Would golden syrup add anything to flavour.

Regarding molasses, i assume this the Tate & Lyle black stuff in a red tin that we call treacle.
I'm sure the wife will have a tin in the cupboard.
Maybe I'll split the brew and add a little to a demijohn with treacle.
That British Brewer recipe would only require 22 grams in a gallon.

Treacle isn't really the same as Molasses. Both products of sugar refining but at different points? Tastes similar but I believe molasses (blackstrap) is a bit rawer but not as strongly flavoured as treacle. You can get Lyles treacle whereas molasses comes from all sorts of produces.

The British Brewer site has the molasses in the boil, but priming is where you often see it suggested.

Golden Syrup. Flavour? More than white sugar, but nothing noticeable I think.

OP is pretty simple, and apparently gets it's unusual flavours from the way it is fermented, which is not explained. Maybe a warm fermentation. From the Theakstons website...

"Old Peculier is a beautiful, yet very simple beer, brewed using a very generous blend of finest pale, crystal and roasted barley with two bitter hops combined with the majestic and noble ‘Fuggle’ hop to produce a beer of awesome full-bodied flavour with subtle cherry and rich fruit overtones. It tastes superb when accompanied by rich stews, strong cheeses and sweet puddings."

I've made the Extract version of OP several times using the BrewUK recipe packs, I still have the recipe sheet and it appears to be the same as the one in the Wheeler book.

I'd say it was pretty close to the draught version, not the pastreurised bottled version that to me is a pretty poor substitute. One of my favourite brews, was just thinking this morning that this'll be the first winter I haven't made it.

I'm annoyed that i didn't start the hobby earlier in the year.
It's one of those things i've been threatening to do for years.

Had a bottle of Old Pec' last night. Nearly seen a beer taste so different to what it looks like.

Was fantastic.

Will certainly be brewing it up in 2016.

No point in being annoyed, just look forward to next year, when you can indulge all year.

I know a number of "nearly homebrewers" and the best advice is to just get on and do it. Contemporary kits will make pretty decent beer, if you follow the instructions on cleaning and sanitising and double (at least!) all the quoted times.

I'm annoyed I waited til my late 40s to take up all grain brewing! But you have to move on... :lol:

Latest posts

Back