One Percent

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well that puts it in a different light, i have a feeling due to them winning the Covid battle they wont abandon patients even though it would be the best time to do it as they would have a huge lever.

Patients would not be abandoned. Strike action would have to be compatible with The Code. It wouldn't be done lightly either. As you say, as a profession, we care deeply about what we do. We've historically been terrible at defending our conditions because of it.

So you wouldn't be able to leave on mass you would have to provide some cover?

Exactly. There was strike action in 1988, but it was limited. It would likely start with rejection of overtime etc.

Exactly. There was strike action in 1988, but it was limited. It would likely start with rejection of overtime etc.

I think if they were to drop the 12% it would go down better with the public should they decide to strike, i used to be in the union in the shipyard in Barrow and we all know the union asks for 12% the company say 1% they then come to a compromise in between i just with they hadn't started so high.

Being self employed my annual income has not increased in over 10 years, probably more like at least 15 years. In the year since the pandemic started I have lost at least £18000 in earnings. The self employed furlough has helped but I am only still standing by living off savings and tightening our belts, no holidays last year or this year as an example.
Should the nurses be given a rise, 100%, although 12% is to much.
Spoke to my sister today, a nurse of around 35 years who has risen to become a consultant nurse, she says this rise will just cover the increase in parking fees she has to pay to park at work. She has never felt so disillusioned with her job especially when Handcock is now claiming there has never been a shortage of PPE! She is writing to him to remind him she served on a covid ward last year with an apron made from a bin bag. For the first time ever she is thinking of leaving the job she loves as she feels she has been kicked in the teeth by the government or as her husband put it "it would be nice to kissed while your being f*cked"
She also told me after voting tory for over 25 years her and her husband will never vote for them again.

I am a Nurse and am slightly disappointed with the pay rise but I am a realist and accept that this country will be in a financial black hole for decades because of Covid,so I will accept it and carry on,everybody has suffered through this crappy pandemic.

The alleged rise was a huge con. I'm now top of band 6 and have looked at my pay slips when I was a band 5 15 years ago and my actual take home pay is the same as they've doubled our pension payments .

They bumped up the starting pay to get people to sign on but they are leaving in droves often within 3 years of qualifying. The reality is the average age of nurses is 51 and are due to retire in 16 years when the nhs will collapse as we cant retain staff.

My trust advertised recently for 5 vacant posts in 2 wards they didnt get a single application .

I am a Nurse and am slightly disappointed with the pay rise but I am a realist and accept that this country will be in a financial black hole for decades because of Covid,so I will accept it and carry on,everybody has suffered through this crappy pandemic.

That is the best post i have read all week.

That is the best post i have read all week.
My issue is they have found the money to waste 37 billion on trace on trace . You could literally give every adult in the uk a new smartphone and pay them 100 to check in for the same money. And chuck wheel barrels of money to their mates for unusable ****.
There are 3 major incubators suppliers used in the uk who all offered to ramp up production at the start of covid instead they give the contract to Dyson who make hoovers , am sure it's nothing to do with the donations they made to the Tory party.

Lets not go back down the tory bashing road again mistakes were made we cannot change that and as has been said many times hindsight is a wonderful thing, we are discussing the black hole covid has left the country in and whether the nurses should get the 12% rise their union is asking for.

Lets not go back down the tory bashing road again mistakes were made we cannot change that and as has been said many times hindsight is a wonderful thing, we are discussing the black hole covid has left the country in and whether the nurses should get the 12% rise their union is asking for.

Why not? It's government bashing, and with good reason. The two things are intrinsically linked. We're going to end up with rather simplistic arguments, as you demonstrated yesterday, if full discussion isn't permitted.

If you don't like it, I'm sure you can start another thread to praise the government.

Very few will see any increase in their prosperity for the foreseeable future. Not even amongst those that make an actual economic contribution.
+1 - hoping that you are ok with the level of prosperity you have now, because like slid I think we're in all for a tough couple of years.
I think theres going to be a downsizing of travel expectations at well.

Why not? It's government bashing, and with good reason. The two things are intrinsically linked. We're going to end up with rather simplistic arguments, as you demonstrated yesterday, if full discussion isn't permitted.

If you don't like it, I'm sure you can start another thread to praise the government.

I have no intention of praising the tories as I said earlier - "mistakes were made we cannot change that"

This is a discussion about whether the nurses deserve a 12% pay rise and whether there is enough money in the pot to pay it if you want to again discuss how the government handled the pandemic over the last 12 months you open another thread this one is going to stay on topic.

Last edited:
This discussion is not whether the nurses deserve 12% , it's whether they deserve more than 1%.

The union is calling for 12% they have been offered 1% this has caused people who haven't had a pay rise in years to get their backs up instead of supporting them, asking for 12% it was a stupid move even though most of us know they never expect to get it and will settle for much less.

I have no intention of praising the tories as I said earlier they made mistakes

This is a discussion about whether the nurses deserve a 12% pay rise and whether there is enough money in the pot to pay it if you want to discuss how the government handled the pandemic over the last 12 months ago you open another thread this one is going to stay on topic.

Is it? That seems like a very specific topic. Going to end up with loads of very similar threads if no nuance is permitted.

The thread title says 1%. Seems as though it's you that's changing the goalposts to suit your agenda. I personally don't think this thread is for you. Probably best you start a new one to suit your agenda.

The union is calling for 12% they have been offered 1% this has caused people who haven't had a pay rise in years to get their backs up instead of supporting them, asking for 2% it was a stupid move even though most of us know they never expect to get it and will settle for much less.

Listen to the OP. This is his thread. Or is this your forum now?

Back