Over efficient mash process?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

laithclark

Reaction score
I wonder can someone give me some advice on my Mash process?

I have just put a new brew in the fermenter and as always use Beersmith to make a recipe. I did an overnight mash and batch sparged thereafter. I hit all the temperatures but when it came to the OG I massively overshot.

Target OG = 1046, Achieved = 1069, so to rectify the issue I had to add 10 litres of water at the end of the boil.

Any pointer would be gratefully received! Thanks

Think you did your sums wrong. An OG of 1069 with that grain bill and a batch size of 19 Litres in the FV represents 80% efficiency, which I'd expect from an overnight mash. To get an OG of 1046 your efficiency would have had to be as low as 53%.

In response to the first question this was overnight mash no 3 I think but I can't remember what happened and didn't take detailed enough notes to comment on efficiency of the other 2 overnighters. Anyway better notes next time.

With regard to the OG I haven't done the calculations just followed Beersmith which is set up for my equipment and process, the readings were just from the hydrometer with the necessary temperature adjustments. therefore I have assumed that the Beersmith software is accurate as is my hydrometer.....?

Strange, because with that amount of grain you should have been expecting an OG of 1060 - 1070.

I've put the grains into Brewmate. I realise every brewing set up is different, but I can't see how that much grain would give 1046. The losses would have to be huge. On my set up I would get 1065 - 1070.

Even your original recipe thread you specify 6.4%, 1046 won't hit that.

Even at a glance 5.25kg of grain is going to pull a higher gravity that that at 23 lt.

Sounds like you have had a successful brewday to me.

I agree, there's not much unexpected here. You're doing concentrated brewing here. What would concern me is diluting wort by that much without any adjustments (increases) to hop additions and the crystal malt. Keeping good brewing notes allows you to make reasonable questimates.

Ok so its out of the fermentor and now conditioning in the cask. OG on transfer was absolutely spot on as per Beersmith at 1010, pic attached. On tasting it wasn't as bitter as hoped but that is due to the huge water addition. It did however still taste great.

I have also added hop oils to this brew for aroma, pics of the bottles attached. I added 1/2ml of both Cascade and Nelson Sauvin oils and the transformation in smell coming from the cask was nothing short of fantastic. I may still decide to double that dosage when it comes to bottling. I will decide on Wednesday when it comes to the bottling and let you know.

Hop Oil.jpg

IMG_2714.jpg

Latest posts

Back