Overrated beers

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was going to post the same, John Smith's is usually drunk by persons with no taste whatsoever in beer.

Doombar, bland. It may have been good at some point in the past but is now dumbed down alongside Marston's pedigree to be easy to keep by unskilled bar staff, both being house beers in Marston's pubs.

Marston's Pedigree - not awful but definitely overrated and survives on it's heritage from the days it was a fantastic drink, re-formulated years ago and drunk by the uneducated masses who know no better. (Do I sound like a beer snob :laugh8: )

Draught Bass - Ruined by Molsen Coors who destroyed the yeast strain and had no interest whatsoever in Britains most popular ask ale. Shameful what they have done to it. Now brewed by Marstons and tastes pretty much like the dumbed down Pedigree.

Agree and all the more galling because the last two used to be so good.

I firmly believe John Smith's is only ever bought because everything else to quote my early 60s father "Are too gassy!" Doom bar, Pedigree, Bass, etc are an extension of this from the point they are either equal to or slightly better than John Smith's.

In terms of Euro lager. They are all generally better in their own countries. Heineken, Coors, Carlsberg buy the rights to the beers and sell them for a year at the original recipe. The masses enjoy them, then they proceed to manipulate the recipe to increase profit margin. The brand dies a slow death and is replaced by the next one. See Stella, Carlsberg, Tuborg, Tyskie, Tiger, Cobra, Amstell. The only ones that seem to survive are the ones who refuse to have their beer made elsewhere. That's not to say they don't feel the pinch and have to change their own recipes. See Beck's, Hoegaarden, Corona, Peroni, Staropramen.

Guinness must have at least 25% extra water by proportion than 10 years ago, yet sales were booming in lockdown. So much so they killed Hop House to concentrate on Guinness. Again I link this solely to my first point regarding John Smith's and that there is no viable alternative to Guinness. All the other stupid Nitro "craft" Stouts are sweeter than original Coca Cola. That leaves only bottled dry stouts that are gassy. What can you do?

Just googled it, 11%?
Dear god no it was around 4% and was absolute psis. Used to get a carry out of it around 12 cans and never get drunk and spend every 5 mins going to the toilets. Horrible stuff but cheap
0AF9C66A-F8D5-4B53-87EC-F5A5279663D7.png

I picked up a can of BD nacho libre.

Poured it later that evening and had a mouthful….. easily the worst thing that’s ever been in my mouth (and unfortunately I can include out of date oysters and kestrel super on that list).

Looked at the can: Mexican chocolate chilli stout. 🤮

Maybe not over rated by all, and presumably by the amount they sell it’s a good beer to some people, but certainly not to my taste
I like chilli, it goes well with all sorts of things. But it shouldn’t be allowed anywhere near a brewery.

As if to prove the point above about this being subjective, I love a chilli imperial stout, especially with chocolate (but not too much cinnamon, which some examples have been ramping up recently). Not tried choco libre, but I get all the ones I can find. I'm fascinated by how the different dried chillies contribute different notes of raisin, toffee, berry, smoky, nutty, tannic or spicy, which complement a stout really nicely. For me, it's an underrated style.

As if to prove the point above about this being subjective, I love a chilli imperial stout, especially with chocolate (but not too much cinnamon, which some examples have been ramping up recently). Not tried choco libre, but I get all the ones I can find. I'm fascinated by how the different dried chillies contribute different notes of raisin, toffee, berry, smoky, nutty, tannic or spicy, which complement a stout really nicely. For me, it's an underrated style.

Yep, I had two very nice chilli stouts sent to me when I judged 'freestyle' in April.

Sour beer.
Session IPA.
Guinness and pretty much EVERYTHING they have brought out in the last five years.
Guinness used to be a great stout. Now it is absolute muck that is served far too cold. As for their other beers, it would seem they have given very little thought to the actual recipes and focused more on advertising. Dreadful stuff, flooding the market out of fear of craft beer. Cnuts.

Is the guinness different in ireland to the uk? People say that and wondered if it were true, I drank Guinness in Ireland a few years ago but not drunk it here since I drank 10 pints of it in the students union to win a blow up chair 20 years ago

Is the guinness different in ireland to the uk? People say that and wondered if it were true, I drank Guinness in Ireland a few years ago but not drunk it here since I drank 10 pints of it in the students union to win a blow up chair 20 years ago

I don't know but as an aside when bottled Guinness was bottle conditioned the difference nearly caused a riot at an Irish club in Wolverhampton. The Irish variety was restricted to the northern half of England north of Stoke from where the club stocked up. On one occasion for whatever reason they had to settle for the Park Royal stuff but this was not disclosed to the members. I have no idea whether the label was different but the taste and texture were sufficiently different to cause a nasty scene!

@pilgrimhudd I have drank G all over the world and on many different continents. It was always shyte apart from in Ireland. Some of the pints in England almost made me vomit. But that was then and this is now. And some of the pints in Ireland make me want to throw up. I've been drinking the stuff for 25 years but I am now done with it. It is garbage. And the way they have reacted to the small amount of success of small, craft breweries by flooding the market with generic rubbish is also garbage. Shame on them.

oakhams citra - had a half in tapped leeds yesterday. sorry I bothered. must be lupilin threshold syndrome again.

also a lot of brewdog beers thesedays. They do have some diamonds still but there are an increasing number of turds floating to the surface sick...

Latest posts

Back