Pale/IPA Inspiration

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ed vK

Reaction score
Hi forum, first post here.

So I’ve progressed through about 15 kits and similar extract and grain self-built recipes and have recently taken the step into AG BIAB in a 33l stock pot.
So far have managed a Nelson Maris SMaSH that was lovely (although possibly high in tannins) and a muddle of an IPA using US hops and late Fuggle additions (all I had and the mash temp went nuts on me).
I’ve since bought a 25kg sack of MO and 100g of each of Mosaic, Citra, Magnum, Enigma and El Dorado and US-05.
What would you brew with the above?? I’m reluctant to throw all the aroma hops into a single NEIPA but could SMaSH with each with a bit of carapils and magnum for bittering?

Why so, does the MO not need it or are you not a fan?
Was aiming for some suggestions on which of these hops would combine well but perhaps if I brew with each individually I’ll work that out. Was looking for the next brew to be a blinder

Hi forum, first post here.

So I’ve progressed through about 15 kits and similar extract and grain self-built recipes and have recently taken the step into AG BIAB in a 33l stock pot.
So far have managed a Nelson Maris SMaSH that was lovely (although possibly high in tannins) and a muddle of an IPA using US hops and late Fuggle additions (all I had and the mash temp went nuts on me).
I’ve since bought a 25kg sack of MO and 100g of each of Mosaic, Citra, Magnum, Enigma and El Dorado and US-05.
What would you brew with the above?? I’m reluctant to throw all the aroma hops into a single NEIPA but could SMaSH with each with a bit of carapils and magnum for bittering?
Technically speaking it wouldn't be a SMaSH as your adding additional grain and hops whereas it is one grain type and one hop type.Though having a SMaSH of each would be a good idea so as to get to know your hops and malt.

Welcome Ed vK. The more the merrier.
Why did the mash temp go nuts on you?
With M.O. and anything else you've got to raise the malt profile, I'd be looking at going for an APA with a bit of magnum for bittering and either the citra or mosaic for flavour. Don''t muddle the flavour hops. You can put citra and mosaic together, but do something on its own with enigma. (I don't know el dorado). US-05 is a nice, clean yeast so you'll be fine with that. Rehydrate it first.
Why did your mash temp go nuts? Concentrate on getting control over the process.
Good luck and welcome to Valhalla.

A mosaic/citra pale is 2 days in the FV as I type. Was spot on with hitting 66 after a strike of 71. The other one dipped to 60 (after I believed BeerSmith’s call of 66 for 64), then when I put the gas on it jumped to 70. Learning!

I have an El Dorado IPA conditioning at the moment (i used 80% lager malt and 20% flaked oats though)

El Dorado was featured recently on a Basic Brewing Radio hop sampler, it's supposed to be pineapple-ey.

I can't tell you much about combining hops - i gather it doesn't make much difference what you use for bittering, though i could be mistaken about that. Recently I've been playing around with single hop beers to get an idea of what they're like in reality, while playing around different malt combinations.

Thanks Matt.
I’ve no doubt got that BBR episode waiting, I’ll find it.
So a couple if SMaSHes and then might throw the remaining 1/3 packs into an IPA. Once I’ve gone through 25kg of MO I’ll take stock, possibly order another pile of hops I know nothing about!

You can do that but you're kinda shooting in the dark - that's not too say don't do it though as to some degree you'll never know until you try it yourself.

But I also recommend trying the BBR hop sampler episodes - this inspired me one time to add more Amarillo and less citra to a dry hop resulting in a fabulous IPA. Another time it inspired me to switch a single hop IPA from Amarillo to the aforementioned El Dorado IPA.

I also recommend trying some shop bought beers to get a sense of how some hops taste, especially if you can find single hop ones - recent discoveries I think I've made this way are summit and Chinook.

Latest posts

Back