pH meter advice

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jafski

Reaction score
Looking at getting one of those cheapo pH meters for more accurate mash pH readings.

The spec on themsays they only work in a temp range of 0 - 50'c, but looking at more expensive ones, they are the same.

So my question is to those that use them:

Do you take some wort out of the mash tun, let it cool to below 50'c and then measure, or just dip the pH meter into the mash and not worry about the temp being out of range?

TIA!

You only take about 50ml out for testing and it cools in a pan of cold water quick enough.

Cheapo devices are fine for our purpose. Having said that my new one is being a pig to calibrate. And on the subject of new ones: They only last about 18-24 months (only 12 if unlucky - or perhaps never gets started based on my current experience). You know they've had it when they won't hold calibration for even a minute or two. This is the destiny of ALL pH probes (however expensive).

You only take about 50ml out for testing and it cools in a pan of cold water quick enough.

Cheapo devices are fine for our purpose. Having said that my new one is being a pig to calibrate. And on the subject of new ones: They only last about 18-24 months (only 12 if unlucky - or perhaps never gets started based on my current experience). You know they've had it when they won't hold calibration for even a minute or two. This is the destiny of ALL pH probes (however expensive).

Great, cheers.

You should cool the sample to room temp before you test it, even if you have one that will work at higher temperatures, because high temps shorten the life of the probe.

Last edited:
I would reckon if Choice did a test on pH meters they would go for the cheapy.You could buy a dozen cheap ones to one good one and when the probe goes in a good one your up for around the new purchase price to replace it.
And take heed of the advice given in above posts and let your sample cool (it only takes a couple of minutes) no matter what temperature they claim to be good for.

I would reckon if Choice did a test on pH meters they would go for the cheapy.You could buy a dozen cheap ones to one good one and when the probe goes in a good one your up for around the new purchase price to replace it.
And take heed of the advice given in above posts and let your sample cool (it only takes a couple of minutes) no matter what temperature they claim to be good for.

It's interesting you say that, have a look at my comparison on this thread.

I bought the Hanna pH meter and have forked out for a new electrode, in hindsight I would have just got the $8.00 US ones from Aliexpress which I have as a standby.

Latest posts

Back