Plastic vs Stainless steel fermenter

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thrums1

Reaction score
I am thinking about buying a Klarstein 30litre stainless steel fermenter for around £100.

I usually brew Festival or Mangrove Jack's Craft Series.

Is it worth it? Will there be any difference in my kit brews?

I don't see why there should be any difference. Both the plastic and the SS are food grade, and presuming you've cleaned them properly. The plastic will give you a bit more insulation and help keep the temperature of the fermenting beer a bit steadier. Some of my plastic fermenters are well into their twenties and still going strong and they don't dent.
Having said that, If I could afford to have a Klarstein, I probably would just because it's "nice" to have.

Edit: Just looked at them again on the website. Lovely bit of kit and well worth 99 squids. Go for it.
It won't make your beer taste any better though, just more fun to brew.

Last edited:
Indeed, I am just starting out brewing and did my first few batches in a plastic fermenter which produced perfectly drinkable beers, however, having bottled the latest batch this morning following my first fermentation in a stainless steel fermenter I must say the overall experience was much nicer this time. Little things like a rotating racking arm and a conical base helped.

I am thinking about buying a Klarstein 30litre stainless steel fermenter for around £100.

I usually brew Festival or Mangrove Jack's Craft Series.

Is it worth it? Will there be any difference in my kit brews?
If you have, or are thinking you might have a brew fridge then consider the size of the SS fermenters. The tall ones like the Klarstein won't fit in a modern under-counter fridge where you lose height because of the compressor.

The baby SS brewtech ones fit and they are a conical. But will your beers be better?....probably not.

Temp control & removing chlorine would be where I’d put my money starting off if you are not doing that already.

I'm sure it's very pretty. For that size, I would expect it to be a decent amount more in cost. Is it really sturdy and of a really good grade (I don't remember the rating system but there is one)? If I were to get a SS like that, I would get the very top of the line.
I've had my plastic ones for many years now and since I don't scratch them, they're great and make as good of beer as I put into them. I like that they're light and there are no difficult spots to clean.

Latest posts

Back