Please recommend a good example of a commercial fruit Saison

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Simonh82

Landlord.
Reaction score
This summer I've agreed to make a beer for my sisters wedding. As my brew fridge will be tied up with this I'd like to get another brew in the go at room temperature so I don't run out of beer. A saison seems to be the obvious choice for fermenting in summer temps but I'm really not at all familiar with this kind of beer..

I'd maybe like to try combining this with a fruit of some kind as I understand that is fairly common.

Can anyone suggest a good fruit/non-fruit saison that I can try.

Also, what yest have people used when brewing saisons? I know some saisons yeasts can be quite funky. I'd probably prefer something towards the less funky end of the spectrum. Could I just use the Duvel yeast I've harvested recently which is pretty heat tolerant.

I have read a book on saison and never came across a fruit saison. In my eyes saison should be made with a saison yeast and you will need to increase the temp during the fermention. Saison seems a strange choice to serve the general public, it's not everyone's cup of tea

I'm not making the saison for the wedding. I'm making a hoppy golden ale for that. The saison is to keep the beer supplies up whilst my brew fridge is being used for the pale ale.

I've definitely seen people mention fruit saisons. I think there was rhubarb saison that won the Great British Homebrew competition this year.

What temp are you fermenting at?

Saisons are generally funky and if that is not your bag I would look at other options.

I think there was a MJ yeast which was pretty tolerant and US05 is generally okay in the lower 20s

I don't know what temps I'm going to be fermenting at. It will be early summer room temperature in the south of England, so maybe low to mid 20s, assuming we don't get a heatwave. My brew fridge will be tied up with the golden ale for the wedding so it will just be out in my kitchen.

I know saisons can be funky but there are at least half a dozen strains that White Labs produce. I guess these will vary in funkiness. I don't mind strong esters but would prefer to avoid farmyard flavours.

I will try the suggested beers out and see what I think.

I'm not aware of any commercial fruit Saisons beyond the rhubarb one you mentioned, and I've only had a couple of commercial non-fruit ones, most notably the wonderful Saison Dupont.

The ' Basic Brewing ' guys did a pineapple Saison that looked quite appealing to me. They froze some unpasteurised pineapple juice and added it at flame-out. I seem to remember them doing a Saison with tinned gooseberries as well.

My problem with brewing Saisons isn't any funkiness ( mine have been fruity, not funky ), but the fact the Belle Saison and Mangrove Jack yeasts I've used will ferment your old gym shorts. All three of my Saisons finished at 1.000, and that fermented at 20c and only one of the recipes used any sugar. My next one will be brewed with a liquid strain which hopefully won't attenuate as much.

Best of luck with whatever you try.

The ' Basic Brewing ' guys did a pineapple Saison that looked quite appealing to me. They froze some unpasteurised pineapple juice and added it at flame-out. I seem to remember them doing a Saison with tinned gooseberries as well.

My problem with brewing Saisons isn't any funkiness ( mine have been fruity, not funky ), but the fact the Belle Saison and Mangrove Jack yeasts I've used will ferment your old gym shorts. All three of my Saisons finished at 1.000, and that fermented at 20c and only one of the recipes used any sugar. My next one will be brewed with a liquid strain which hopefully won't attenuate as much.

Best of luck with whatever you try.

Belle Saison is a beast for sure. Don't stick your finger in the fermenter or it'll have that as well.!

I'm not making the saison for the wedding. I'm making a hoppy golden ale for that. The saison is to keep the beer supplies up whilst my brew fridge is being used for the pale ale.

I've definitely seen people mention fruit saisons. I think there was rhubarb saison that won the Great British Homebrew competition this year.

I think the rhubarb one is now marketed by Thornbridge. I bought a bottle recently and half of it went down the sink, it was horrible!

This summer I've agreed to make a beer for my sisters wedding. As my brew fridge will be tied up with this I'd like to get another brew in the go at room temperature so I don't run out of beer. A saison seems to be the obvious choice for fermenting in summer temps but I'm really not at all familiar with this kind of beer..

I'd maybe like to try combining this with a fruit of some kind as I understand that is fairly common.

Can anyone suggest a good fruit/non-fruit saison that I can try.

Also, what yest have people used when brewing saisons? I know some saisons yeasts can be quite funky. I'd probably prefer something towards the less funky end of the spectrum. Could I just use the Duvel yeast I've harvested recently which is pretty heat tolerant.

I had this recently
http://www.brewbynumbers.com/products-page/001-saison/quince/

It wasn't bad, though not spectacular. Quince is hardly the most accessible fruit though.

However if you follow the link and look at what other saisons they have done there are a loads of different fruit ones. Some are rather odd, cucumber and juniper saison, anyone?

I had this recently
http://www.brewbynumbers.com/products-page/001-saison/quince/

It wasn't bad, though not spectacular. Quince is hardly the most accessible fruit though.

However if you follow the link and look at what other saisons they have done there are a loads of different fruit ones. Some are rather odd, cucumber and juniper saison, anyone?

Thanks, I hadn't thought of quince. Unfortunately we lost access to the most prolifically fruiting quince tree imaginable last year, when my father in law moved house. We do have several quince bushes in the garden but they tend to just be small ornamental fruits. We are looking to replace the proper quince tree at some point so this is maybe one for a few years time. I can imagine they would work well as they have the most amazing perfume.

Thanks, I hadn't thought of quince. Unfortunately we lost access to the most prolifically fruiting quince tree imaginable last year, when my father in law moved house. We do have several quince bushes in the garden but they tend to just be small ornamental fruits. We are looking to replace the proper quince tree at some point so this is maybe one for a few years time. I can imagine they would work well as they have the most amazing perfume.

You can still use the smaller, ornamental Japonica quince in the same way you would a regular quince. If you're struggling for enough fruit, pad it out with some pear and its amazing.

I've never even heard of quince used in brewing, but I ADORE quince so will look into this myself.

Latest posts

Back