Possible issues with evil dog double ipa fermentation

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BakaBuel

Reaction score
hi all, I'm new to this forum and relatively new to home brewing so I hope I've worded this right and you understand my issue.

I started an evil dog double ipa kit on 22/04/20, OG was 1.064. Fermentation started that night with lots of bubbling for a good few days but on the 26/04/20 (4 days after start of fermentation) the bubbling stopped, I opened up the bucket to check the gravity on 27/04/20, there was no krausen on top but there are visible signs of where there had been a thick (1-2inch) layer of krausen inside the bucket and the gravity was reading 1.024.
I sealed it back up again and left it for 24 hours with no signs of bubbling or activity in the airlock. I then checked the gravity after 24 hours (28/04/20) and the gravity had dropped again to 1.020.

My question is should I leave it to do its thing with no activity in the airlock or buy extra yeast to add? And also if I need to buy more yeast which yeast would I use in this brew?

Cheers.

My advice would be to leave it alone. I'm not being funny, but did you put the lid back on fully? There could easily be a small leak in the lid seal which would mean you don't see any activity in the airlock. Also, you don't say what temperature you're fermenting at? Warming it up a touch could be an option.

In my (limited) experience, I would avoid continually taking the lid on and off. Make sure the temperature is reasonably stable and warm enough for the yeast to do its thing and leave well alone. Patience is a virtue - particularly when it comes to home brewing!

My advice would be to leave it alone. I'm not being funny, but did you put the lid back on fully? There could easily be a small leak in the lid seal which would mean you don't see any activity in the airlock. Also, you don't say what temperature you're fermenting at? Warming it up a touch could be an option.

In my (limited) experience, I would avoid continually taking the lid on and off. Make sure the temperature is reasonably stable and warm enough for the yeast to do its thing and leave well alone. Patience is a virtue - particularly when it comes to home brewing!

Thanks for your reply.

Yes the lid definitely went back on properly and I am aware I shouldn't mess with it too much I just wanted to check the gravity was actually still dropping. I was thinking a poor seal could be the issue but would that mean there would be no krausen either?

At the start of fermentation it was sitting around 20°c but since the airlock stopped bubbling I have brought it up to 22-23°c roughly and still nothing.

Follow the advice @GhostShip has given you, i.e. leave it alone. You have a fairly high OG and that means it will take longer than 'typical' brew. My suggestion is to leave it 14 days from original pitching then take a reading, which allowing for a typical yeast attenuation will probably be somewhere between 1.012 and 1.015, but might be lower than this. Then do the usual which means you can package when the SG reading has stabilised over two or three days

What you're saying is that you've got close to your final gravity inside a week. That sounds like a good fermentation to me. Don't rely on airlock activity at all. It doesn't really tell you very much.

Leave it fermenting in the bucket. As others mention leave it for 14 days and then test the gravity. The less peeking inside the fermenter the better as every time its opened you risk all sorts of infection.
Some brew buckets are notorious for poor sealing lids so don't use bubblers on these fv's for signs of active or unactive fermentation.

Thanks for all the info guys 👍

Its been fermenting for 7 days in total but there's only been airlock activity for the first 3-4 days.

I have to add the hop tea bags 2-3 days before bottling so I'll leave it for another week with no checks and then check gravity and add this if all looks good and the gravity is low enough?

I think I will have to invest in something a little more airtight for the next brew.

Thanks for all the info guys 👍

Its been fermenting for 7 days in total but there's only been airlock activity for the first 3-4 days.

I have to add the hop tea bags 2-3 days before bottling so I'll leave it for another week with no checks and then check gravity and add this if all looks good and the gravity is low enough?

I think I will have to invest in something a little more airtight for the next brew.

Why? Airtight seal isn't necessary.

Why? Airtight seal isn't necessary.

Purely for peace of mind.
A little bubble every now and again is a good indication that its actually doing what its supposed to do be doing without having to open up and take gravity readings.

What happens is, if there is a small leak, the initial flowrate of CO2 from fermentation cannot all escape through the leak so it finds the next path of least resistance which happens to be the airlock. And when the CO2 rate drops back the the leak can handle the flow and the airlock stops working.
Your plan for adding the tea bags sounds fine.
And your FV and airlock are probably no worse or better than mine or the other 90%+ of homebrewers who ferment this way. So stick with it athumb..

What happens is, if there is a small leak, the initial flowrate of CO2 from fermentation cannot all escape through the leak so it finds the next path of least resistance which happens to be the airlock. And when the CO2 rate drops back the the leak can handle the flow and the airlock stops working.
Your plan for adding the tea bags sounds fine.
And your FV and airlock are probably no worse or better than mine or the other 90%+ of homebrewers who ferment this way. So stick with it athumb..

Thanks 👍

I'll stick with this and report back in a week when I check the gravity and hopefully add the hop tea bags.

Cheers.

Thanks 👍

I'll stick with this and report back in a week when I check the gravity and hopefully add the hop tea bags.

Cheers.
I'm fairly new to brewing but the above advice sounds sensible.
If it's any reassurance I've just brewed and bottled this beer. Similar experience with airlock activity although mine maybe lasted a few extra days. The gravity took over 2 weeks to settle though, longer than the instructions advise. Looked, smelt and tasted good though when I eventually got to the bottling stage.

Update - I checked the gravity on 05/05/20 which was day 14 of fermentation and it read 1.014.
I then left it another 2 days and checked today and it is still reading 1.014 so I have added the hop bags today and plan to bottle on sunday.

Done this one also followed kit instructions to a t
Turned absolutely horrible undrinkable gave up following instructions after it I'd say give it 3 weeks minimum

Done this one also followed kit instructions to a t
Turned absolutely horrible undrinkable gave up following instructions after it I'd say give it 3 weeks minimum

What exactly were the problems you had? I tasted the sample I used for the gravity checks 2 days ago and today and the taste is very nice so I don't see there being any issues that side of it unless the hop bags completely ruin it?

I'm drinking this at the moment, I find it a really fruity strong ale, no complaints here.
[/QUOTE

Thats what I like to hear. All reviews I read before buying the kit were good and as I said the gravity samples I tasted were very good and the hops had a strong aroma to them when steeping so its looking like its going to be a nice beer when complete.

How long did you leave the hop bags in out of interest?

Im considering 48hours at around 22degrees and then cold crash for 24hours and then transfer to bottling bucket.

I left the hop bags in for 2 days, I just took the FV off of the heat pad and put it In my kitchen, I left it for 24 hours to cool and settle and then bottled it that was two weeks ago and tonight I've had one and am happy with it.

Mark

Latest posts

Back