Price Hikes

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Wow, I’ve just gone onto MM to look at a couple of AG kits…. The price has jumped up significantly! Most seem to be in the mid £30 range now from mid £20’s… not good at all 😔 I’ll be looking elsewhere from now on, which is a shame as I liked using MM.

A quick search of GEB site -

genture.JPG

Wow, I’ve just gone onto MM to look at a couple of AG kits…. The price has jumped up significantly! Most seem to be in the mid £30 range now from mid £20’s… not good at all 😔 I’ll be looking elsewhere from now on, which is a shame as I liked using MM.
MM costs more than anywhere else. Try CML, not only can you choose your kit, but you can choose your batch size, too. I've recommended these to a couple of brewers and they find them quite generous in that they assume a low BH efficiency.
https://www.crossmyloofbrew.co.uk/online-store/All-Grain-Recipe-Kits-p382239625
HBC are very reasonable, too.
https://www.thehomebrewcompany.co.uk/all-grain-mash-kits-c-194.html

Last edited:
I’ll be looking elsewhere from now on, which is a shame as I liked using MM.
I feel the same unfortunately: no question about the top-quality ingredients at MM but they have just got so expensive, I scale my brews with 1kg DME and MM are £4/kg more expensive than some suppliers. I usually buy 6 or 7 at a time so that's £28 more just on DME, let alone other ingredients.

Well they don't cost more then GetErBrewed as demonstrated above.

Have you compared them to CML recently?
See post #4. Not many recipes reach £30 and it's a good idea to calibrate the grain bill to your BH efficiency as i find a recipe for 19L will make a 23L at a particular OG. Free postage is worth having, too.
Don't use them myself, but I've recommended them to others and they've been more than pleased.
GEB used to be really reasonable. I think they've jumped on the same bandwagon as MM to be frank.

I use CML mostly for hops and yeast having recently started to buy grain by the sack to negate the price rises .Though noticed MM have a new range called True to Style which ranges from £22 to £25 .

GEB used to be really reasonable. I think they've jumped on the same bandwagon as MM to be frank.

I have a feeling they will all join them on that wagon , at the end of the day they need to make money if prices from their suppliers go up they have little choice but to pass it on.

Food gone up as well, is that means you won't eat anymore?

I swapped back to the homebrew company for my last order. They were cheaper even before the 10% flash sale that I was lucky enough to happen upon.

Used Geterbrewed mostly before that and MM occasionally but they were always more expensive. I buy base malt in 25kg sacks which lasts a good while. The cost of large sacks is fairly similar but the real difference is in the price of hops. MM and GEB are £2-3 more expensive per 100g over THBC. For instance amarillo is £5.95 at THBC and £9.10 at MM. Cascade is £3.95 at THBC and £5.89 at MM.

I usually use about 500g of hops in my 30L batches so it makes a real difference to the total cost.

I went in to the home brew shop in farnborough as I'm local. I normally Don bat an eyelid at buying stuff. I went to buy 100g saaz and 5kg or pilsner malt it was a stupid price. I said wow how much cheaper for a 25kg sack. Its not. 70£ for a.25kg sack of pilsner malt. I didnt brew that day. Since then the sacks come down to 60£. I'm applying to.join.charles farm.see how much cheaper it is

After my go-to supplier for AG kits went belly up I did a good search around for an alternative.
The Worcester Hop Shop have a massive range at great prices, but postage to me was too prohibitive.
I settled on CML and have so far brewed Jaipur and Rakau Saison, both still in fermentation. Excellent efficiency, way above what they predict. They come with the yeast, Irish moss and a hop bag too. Amazingly its free postage to me as well!

Woundn't you be better getting 5Kg bales from simplyhops or charlesfaram?
Possibly, but I don't brew as often as I'd like at the moment and I'd be limited to one or two types of hops where as I can pick and chose the hops to suite what I'm brewing this way.

Also, I tend to use cheeper hops like Columbus, Cascade, Comet in the whirlpool and then dry hop with premium hops which saves a bit compared to just using the most expensive hops.

Everyone as seen a price increase but worth checking every order as there are offers to be had. Mt recent 5 brew order was with GEB, OK I had to compromise on a couple of malt choices but was worth it. Shame DPD ripped the box. Managed to find the malt in the back of rhe van but two packs of yeast missing. GEB were good and communicated throughout Easter weekend. Said they would send the yeast out to me but have since asked that I add them to my next order, which is very annoying because I don't plan to order for another 5 brews and needed those two yeasts. Guess they didn't want to pay the extra postage.

Latest posts

Back