Punk IPA

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Punk IPA

Type: All Grain

Ingredients

Amount Item Type % or IBU
6.20 kg Pale Malt (2 Row) UK (5.9 EBC) Grain 100.00 %
20.00 gm Chinook [12.70 %] (60 min) Hops 21.3 IBU
12.00 gm Ahtanum [7.60 %] (60 min) Hops 7.6 IBU
20.00 gm Chinook [12.70 %] (30 min) Hops 18.2 IBU
20.00 gm Ahtanum [7.60 %] (30 min) Hops 9.8 IBU
12.00 gm Simcoe [12.90 %] (0 min) Hops -
26.00 gm Chinook [12.70 %] (0 min) Hops -
12.00 gm Nelson Sauvin [11.30 %] (0 min) Hops -
12.00 gm Ahtanum [7.60 %] (0 min) Hops -

Yeast US-05

Beer Profile

Measured Original Gravity: 1.056 SG
Measured Final Gravity: 1.010 SG
Actual Alcohol by Vol: 6%
Bitterness: 56.9 IBU
Est Color: 10.3 EBC Color: Color

http://www.jimsbeerkit.co.uk/forum/...sid=6a22d446a6b4c0f05f787d554199f2ce&start=15

Punk IPA is a rather nice drink. Had a fair few of these in the past couple of months as my local has often had it on tap. I think most, if not all Brewdog beers require dry-hopping, but I do not know the hops + quantities...

Most brew dog beers are dry hopped with a ratio of at least 100g per 5 gallons, twice! Loads of nelson in a punk

I have spoken to Mysterio about the recipe posted on Jims and I don't think the grain side of things are quite correct.

They used to print the OG on the bottle at 1052. To get a 6% abv from that you need to get down to 1006 (ish) which is pretty tough for most ale yeasts (even S-05). My opinion was that they must have used white sugar to thin it out some. I then had a conversation with one of the brewers at Stewarts Brewing who was a mate of one of the brewers at Brewdog (they graduated together from the brewing course at Heriot Watt Uni) and he confirmed my suspicion.

The beer is all about the hop hit and the clean, although restrained, malt profile. Without using the sugar it is difficult to get that right.

I did a clone last year that was trying to get close to Punk but in the end I didn't quite achieve it. It didn't quite deliver the punchy hops and had a lot more body. I sent Mysterio off with a few bottles after my brewday last year and he agreed. However, it was a cracking pint and one I plan to tinker about with in the autumn.

King Robert - Punk IPA Clone

LeicesterLad,
what was the total amount of liquor you used for the mash/sparging for those ingredients you listed? The recipe looks really good and I fancy giving somethign like that a try.

WelshPaul said:
LeicesterLad,
what was the total amount of liquor you used for the mash/sparging for those ingredients you listed? The recipe looks really good and I fancy giving somethign like that a try.

Sorry for the late reply WelshPaul the recipe is based on 25ltrs so the ratio for beer to water is usually 2.5ltrs per KG of grain for the mash therefore 6.2kg x 2.5 = 15.5 ltrs

Hope this helps let us know if you do give it a go

LL

Latest posts

Back