Recipes with dry hop

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Craftman

Reaction score
This might seem a really daft question but having brewed a Greg Hughes Black IPA today I've now got myself confused about when to dry hop. The recipe says citra dry hop 4 days.

Is that dry hop 4 days into fermentation, or dry hop 4 days before bottling?

Thanks in advance

Cheers, that's what I was leaning towards, but then I started over thinking it

IMO you should dry hop after the fermentation has finished its most vigorous part of the process usually 3/4 days then in your case dry hop for the 4 days then cold crash. You can dry hop in a bag if you want to clear the beer quicker which enables you to remove them after 4 days this also helps with not leaving them in too long and possibly getting grassy notes although you are not going to leave them too long I would think or you can put them in loose and cold crash to make them drop to the bottom and keg/bottle from there after a further 2 days ( this technically means a 6 day dry hop) but these things are not too critical as long as you are not leaving the hops in for too long

Has anyone ever had the much mentioned "grassy notes"?
I left a dry hop in for well over a week and it was fine.
I think as a generalisation Clint you do need to leave hops in for longer than normal to get any grassy notes it is worse with pellet hops as they have a lot of crushed vegetive matter. I personally have not suffered from it and have dry hopped for upto 7 days but no longer so I do not worry too much about

Never. I began keg-hopping over a year ago and my hops stay in the beer for upto 2 months. Perhaps time plus oxygen is what gives your the grassiness. Keg protects from that.

Never. I began keg-hopping over a year ago and my hops stay in the beer for upto 2 months. Perhaps time plus oxygen is what gives your the grassiness. Keg protects from that.
My dry hopping now exclusively consists of keg hopping. They stay in the keg until it's empty. I've had them in there for 6mo on a slow drinking keg. Never got grassy notes or had any problems leaving them in contact with the beer for long periods.

As an experiment I did dry hop two beers for over a month, with pellets. I didn't get grassy notes, but I got a different kind of bitterness, somewhat like a hop tea. Also, I think this bitterness was more of a function of the hops, which I think were Magnum in one case, and a remainder of Challenger I think.

My dry hopping now exclusively consists of keg hopping. They stay in the keg until it's empty. I've had them in there for 6mo on a slow drinking keg. Never got grassy notes or had any problems leaving them in contact with the beer for long periods.
Have you ever added them to the FV then transferred to the keg? I dry hop in the FV in those nylon fruit and veg bags and have often considered putting it into the keg as well as the beer.

Really useful info thanks - are you using whole hops, and how many are you putting in the keg?
Thinking of doing this for a Maris otter and WGV SMASH I'm planning - thanks
I've used whole and pellet. I do put them in a bag so they don't clog up the dip tube on the bag. I've used a half ounce up to a full ounce for IPA or APA.

I transfer mine into a KK with an airlock fitted into the top for secondary fermentation, and that's when I dry hop. I believe if you're going to dry hop you need to be more generous than I have seen suggested in many books. Even Dave Line ( for whom I have great respect for) was content to use 1/4 oz or so but I use 1.5oz Bramling X in my pale ale. I leave them in for about 3 days then it's ready to siphon into the KK for eventual dispensing.

Latest posts

Back