Recommend a Belgian Beer

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Because they destroy beer. Their only goal is to produce as cheaply as possible and manipulate the market (malt, hop and beer markets), in order to increase the bonuses of Carlos Brito.

Look what they did to Boddington's, to name just one. Believe or not,kids, that was once a mighty fine ale.

The problem with not buying Leffe is that really leaves not much of a choice of Belgium style beer to buy here from a local supermarket .
I happen to prefer sweet style Belgium beer to English ales.

I honestly can't stand Leffe, the brune is especially awful, I think I'd rather have the Stella :sick:

It’s all a matter of individual taste .. I like the sweet caramel taste of the brune... and if it wasn’t for Leffe I might not have discovered all those other wonderful Belgium beers 😊🍺... merry xmas

It's not saying a lot but Stella is by a long distance my favourite mass produced lager!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don’t think it matters what you like... if we said we all said we like one beer brewing would be quite boring ... I’m just thankful that we have choices

I don’t think it matters what you like... if we said we all said we like one beer brewing would be quite boring ... I’m just thankful that we have choices

Lol is it OK to say I like John Smiths or will the beer police come and lock me up?

20 years ago, Stella on tap in Brussels was a decent drink...far better than the rubbish brewed under licence over here.

The first time I had Stella it was a rather expensive pint on a Sally lines ferry, and was actually made in Belgium. It was actually quite nice for a lager. Then they started brewing it here in the UK, it stopped been Stella Artois and became Stell OurChav, watery and nasty stuff.

It's often the same story when something stops been imported and starts been made under license.

20 years ago, Stella on tap in Brussels was a decent drink...far better than the rubbish brewed under licence over here.
There is a reason for that of course. It is (was?) brewed in Leuven, which is just on the side of Brussels. Pretty sure that this guaranteed freshness. But 20 years is also the turning point that led to AbInbev.

The problem with not buying Leffe is that really leaves not much of a choice of Belgium style beer to buy here from a local supermarket .
I happen to prefer sweet style Belgium beer to English ales.
Do you like the Leffe red which I find particularly sweet, the brun is my personal favourite.
Though was in Namur and had a glass of the local Hoope which was light in colour and nice citric notes.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

I've been sampling the fruits of my Christmas road trip and can recommend these:

Gouden Carolus Classic and Tripel
Paix Dieu
Brasserie De La Senne Bruxellensis
Dupont Avec Les Bons Voeux / Biere du Miel
Bon Secours Ambree
De Ranke XXX Bitter
St Bernardus Watou Tripel / Abt 12
Caracole
Val Dieu Tripel
Cuvee de Ranke

duvel is readily available here and delirium(tremens) is on sale in tesco :twisted:

one belgian brand i cant get on with is Gordons i've tried red , silver & gold and not been that impressed.

duvel is readily available here and delirium(tremens) is on sale in tesco :twisted:

one belgian brand i cant get on with is Gordons i've tried red , silver & gold and not been that impressed.
From what i understand Gordon's gold is basically the Belgian equivalent of Tennents super. It's the tin I've seen most in the gutter out there or thrown in a hedge. Let's face it, nobody needs a pint can of sickly 10% beer unless they've hit the skids. On the other hand the same brewery does timmermans and bourgogne des flandres and they're alright.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Surprised this has not been suggested yet but Westvleteren 12 is probably the best Belgian beer i have ever tasted (and i have tried a fair few) The downside is it is fairly expensive and you have to buy it at their cafe but it is only about 30 mins from Dunkirk: http://www.indevrede.be/home.php?lang=en

Another firm favourite of mine is Tripel Karmeliet with Westmalle Tripel not far behind

Gulden Draak is a very good suggestion, would add Rochefort 10 to the list aswell lovely dark malty beer:drink:

If you buy from the abbey, then the price for WV12 is less than 2 EUR/bottle, excluding empties. But you have to buy a crate of 24 bottles then.

Surprised this has not been suggested yet but Westvleteren 12 is probably the best Belgian beer i have ever tasted (and i have tried a fair few) The downside is it is fairly expensive and you have to buy it at their cafe but it is only about 30 mins from Dunkirk: http://www.indevrede.be/home.php?lang=en

Another firm favourite of mine is Tripel Karmeliet with Westmalle Tripel not far behind

Gulden Draak is a very good suggestion, would add Rochefort 10 to the list aswell lovely dark malty beer:drink:

try the st. bernardus abt 12 as a good alternative :thumb:

I know very little about Belgium beers, but would like to drink, I mean learn, more.

I saw this Trappist Ale mixed case from Beerhawk: 12 beers plus a chalice for £40.
Does this look like a good starting point for my Belgian education?

https://www.beerhawk.co.uk/trappist-mixed-case

Chimay Blue
Chimay Red
Chimay White
La Trappe Blond
La Trappe Dubbel
La Trappe Quadrupel
Orval
Rochefort 10
Rochefort 6
Rochefort 8
Westmalle Dubbel
Westmalle Tripel
Chimay Glass

Anything else you would add or remove from this list.
I saw @dad_of_jon recommended a St Bernardus Abt 12 which they also do.
No reason why I couldn't just pick my own mixed case selection if folks think this list could be better.

I've been sampling the fruits of my Christmas road trip and can recommend these:

Gouden Carolus Classic and Tripel
Paix Dieu
Brasserie De La Senne Bruxellensis
Dupont Avec Les Bons Voeux / Biere du Miel
Bon Secours Ambree
De Ranke XXX Bitter
St Bernardus Watou Tripel / Abt 12
Caracole
Val Dieu Tripel
Cuvee de Ranke

Impeccable taste. Brussels Beer Project brew some outstanding beer too.

Latest posts

Back