Records

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Maybe there should be a Betamax revival! Better picture quality than VHS, as my dad used to say to me as he sought to justify buying the wrong format!

I still have quite a number of vinyl LP's which sort of represent my rather distant past. I have turntable that I used to digitize the best of them and then load them up to a I-Pod. There is stuff on there that does not get played much on Planet Rock or Radio X Classic Rock, but I don't have chance to listen to it much recently.

Anybody still using these little monkeys?

1713646283033.png

I'll have you know I got my mrs a cassette tape player for Xmas so she could play the old tapes we still have knocking around from our youths
Had been thinking of getting my beloved a string vest. She's been feeling the cold a bit, here in the frozen wastelands of southern Brittany.

I listen to spotify, but 99.99% of the time its a podcast.

I used to listen to it more for music when there was a functioning API that I used to make my own Raspberry pi based player. Really liked the control that I had.

I don't use it like a record player though.

Still got a stack of albums and a linear track player. Got hundreds of CDs gathering dust. Likewise DVDs and blurays. Might have a box of VHS tapes too, does your mate like Disney @stubrewworx ?

I listen to spotify, but 99.99% of the time its a podcast.

I used to listen to it more for music when there was a functioning API that I used to make my own Raspberry pi based player. Really liked the control that I had.

I don't use it like a record player though.

Still got a stack of albums and a linear track player. Got hundreds of CDs gathering dust. Likewise DVDs and blurays. Might have a box of VHS tapes too, does your mate like Disney @stubrewworx ?
I don't think so.

I've probably got around 500 albums, I get a lot of pleasure going through them
especially when I have friends round.
As said previously they're getting harder to find in charity shops and car boots where I used to pick up loads.
Sometimes I go to record fairs and if I find something I really want I'll treat myself, it's still worth paying in comparison with price of new CDs today.

Years back I did some work for a guy who used to have a second hand shop.
I got a job lot of LPs in part payment which are among my most valuable today, all first pressings. Some of the top finds, these were all released in 1969 ;
- King Crimson , in the court of the crimson king
- Rolling stones, Let it bleed
- Jethro Tull, Stand up (amazing pop up gatefold album cover)
- Fleetwood Mac, Then play on
- Pink Floyd, Ummagumma

I've probably got around 500 albums, I get a lot of pleasure going through them
especially when I have friends round.
As said previously they're getting harder to find in charity shops and car boots where I used to pick up loads.
Sometimes I go to record fairs and if I find something I really want I'll treat myself, it's still worth paying in comparison with price of new CDs today.

Years back I did some work for a guy who used to have a second hand shop.
I got a job lot of LPs in part payment which are among my most valuable today, all first pressings. Some of the top finds, these were all released in 1969 ;
- King Crimson , in the court of the crimson king
- Rolling stones, Let it bleed
- Jethro Tull, Stand up (amazing pop up gatefold album cover)
- Fleetwood Mac, Then play on
- Pink Floyd, Ummagumma
Wow, that's impressive list!

I don't think I have all that many records that are valuable (except a couple of early Beatles records I inherited from my mum), partly because the stuff I had in my youth - some which might be worth something - is in less than pristine condition. That said, I am surprised sometimes when I see how much second hand record shops are charging for stuff I own.

I had some nice finds in charity shops over the years, including a Sun Ra record in the most unlikely of places! It was always fun scouring charity shops and car boot sales. I don't live in the same part of the country today, but every now and again I have a look in a charity shop and the records on display are rather depressing somehow.

I sold all my vinyls last week, a few hundred, I got a lot for them I should have probably asked for more but I just wanted to shift them as I'm downsizing.

90s techno, trance, house etc, not well known tracks mostly stuff that never would have had a music video for example, but to those in the know it's sought after

Latest posts

Back