Reinheitsgebot - gebuggered?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
http://monsantoblog.com/2016/02/26/information-on-the-german-report-on-glyphosate-in-beer/

And of course, Monsanto come straight back to tell everyone that it's fine.......

I notice that Monsanto say:

"Based on the residue levels in this report, for instance, a person would need to drink 3,000 beers in one day for levels of glyphosate near the European regulatory authority’s maximum daily limit for glyphosate."

Now there's a challenge!

But in all seriousness I assume this means that the grain/hops we use will have traces of Glyphosate - and probable most of the fruit/veg we eat too?

Amongst other things, I'm sure. It is a sign of the times, driven by greed in my opinion. Use herbicides/pesticides or whatever, increase yield therefore increase output therefore increase bank balance. Leading to, in this case, the possible demise of an historical law that German brewers have adhered to and been proud of for half a millenia. Not to mention the possible health issues (mainly arising from my new found quest to see if Monsanto's figures are right....).

I wonder how organic beers/ingredients would compare?

If totally organic - should be free of anything unnatural. Is it 100% possible to ensure that? I don't know - never been a fan of it to tell the truth, as I see it as another example (in the supermarkets for instance) where something that has supposedly had less done/added to it costs more? Because of the label that comes with it?

I thought it was the pies and old age.....

The study stated that lower IQ, adult obesity ..... are all linked to exposure to endocrine disruptors.

Wait till they start testing British beers. We don't even have a law stating what you can put in beer, imagine the **** they could have been chucking in.....

And then there's cider...

Amongst other things I have heard as 'adjuncts' - rats, horseshoes and nails. And that's from just one of the pubs I used to frequent as a lad in Devon where they brewed their own. Didn't stop us drinking it though. Maybe that explains my 'quirks', as SWMBO calls them....

Slightly off topic, but slightly related, on st Georges day this year it'll be 500 years since the Reinheitsgebot was adopted across Bavaria (According to Wikipedia).

Slightly off topic, but slightly related, on st Georges day this year it'll be 500 years since the Reinheitsgebot was adopted across Bavaria (According to Wikipedia).

1517 if I recall. Their world must be shaking. I remember speaking with a number of German brewers a while back - the one thing that stood out was their absolute belief and pride in the purity of their product. One of the biggest selling points, apart from the product itself, of course.

I know that on their Facebook feed, Krombacher have been talking about the quincentenary of the Reinheitsgebot. Apparently they've got some sort of celebration plans (read, a special label or something like that).

I might have to find a seminar that work needs me to attend in Nord-Rhein Westphalia........or anywhere else in Germany that has a brewery, or all of them.....!!

I had to attend a warehouse excellence audit at one of our sites near Munich last year. They took us out on the evenings and it was excellent, one of the guys brothers worked in a brewery nearby, but I only found out on the last day so never got the chance to go.

I worked in Germany, near Frankfurt, for a couple of months when I was younger, but wasn't into all this malarkey then. If only... I was staying I'm a hotel right nearby a brewery :doh:

I'll see if I can find it - there is a website devoted to German microbreweries with accomodation. Pure, unadulterated, absolute heaven....

Back