Rejuvinating Old and I mean OLD Beer Bottles

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LeithR

Landlord.
Reaction score
I have a number of these old beer bottles (140) both in the 1pint size and also about 24x2 pint bottles (used to be called flaggons?)

Some of you may remember them, if so then :hat: to you.

DSC00029_zpsdad77b03.jpg.html

My issue is that the bottles have lain in my shed for a number of years and the little rubber washers have perished - its not easy to see but its just above the black cork to the right of the bottle.

Does anybody know of a source for these? Please - I have trawled the internet and have actually spoken to somebody in the Edinburgh Brew shop who remembers them. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

I have a better picture of the cork and washer which I'll add later when the battery for my camera re-charges.

Thanks

wander into your local plumbing supply and motor factors and just say have you got anything like this, dont tell them what its off, and if they ask its for your mate so not sure what its off, you may be surprised that they will have something very similar

Looking back at some old threads about these bottles, I saw that you may be able to use o-rings from ebay :?

There's a post from leodensian who was asking where to get the washers from. He's only got a post count of 5, so he's not an active forum member, but you could PM him as well

Hi I think there more of a flat shape than an 'o' ring, although i'd think they'd work ok. You can get flat shoulderd (square) 'o' rings (something like a thick elastic band shape) but it might be a search to find them. Or a sheet of gasket material and a set of hole punches (baicsicly a sharpened tube) to cut them out, although you might have to stack them to get the depth. Anyway good luck!

Try B&Q in the plumbing isle, you might get lucky they normally have a good selection of washers.

Latest posts

Back