The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I thought you would have ;) All in all you are making buying the pump look very tempting to speed up the process as I usually have to do it over a couple of evenings.
That was my main reason because I did the same, collect the water one day, brew the next. Now I donā€™t need to do that.

I also like the fact there is less waste though I may have to accept the membrane will need replacing more frequently. Mind you, they (Vyair) do say it should be replaced each year.

I thought you would have ;) All in all you are making buying the pump look very tempting to speed up the process as I usually have to do it over a couple of evenings.
Itā€™s very tempting isnā€™t it! For the time being Iā€™m going the alternative (cheaper) route of upgrading to a 150gpl membrane and matching flow restrictor; which should triple the output rateā€¦ Iā€™ll report on how well that works :-)

Itā€™s very tempting isnā€™t it! For the time being Iā€™m going the alternative (cheaper) route of upgrading to a 150gpl membrane and matching flow restrictor; which should triple the output rateā€¦ Iā€™ll report on how well that works :-)
Good luck keep us posted
My problem was a drop in water pressure after a so called ā€˜SMARTā€™ water meter was installed šŸ„“

Just had a thought... I usually brew with a blend of ro water and tap water to get to a desired water profile. Could some of the 'waste water' from the ro filter be used as part of the blend? šŸ¤” Or is that defeating the object? I can't decide if that's a stupid question or not šŸ˜‚

Just had a thought... I usually brew with a blend of ro water and tap water to get to a desired water profile. Could some of the 'waste water' from the ro filter be used as part of the blend? šŸ¤” Or is that defeating the object? I can't decide if that's a stupid question or not šŸ˜‚
Youā€™d be putting back what youā€™d just taken out. šŸ˜‚

Cool thanks it looks like it needs to be catalytic activated carbon not just activated carbon. Anyway I picked up one of these to test out before I go full RO.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B007I6MN72?psc=1&smid=A7U8PO7D25UJR&ref_=chk_typ_imgToDp

That seems quite expensive; I got a whole 3-stage RO system for only a bit more than thatā€¦

1628371021975.png

So a question my water utility uses chloramine and the description says the carbon filter does not reduce chloramine a will these be filtered by the RO then?
May be worth having a read of this: Removing Chloramines ā€“ Pure Water Products, LLC
The conclusion seems to be that the carbon filters in RO units are reasonably effective at remove chloramine because the flow rate is so low; and that ā€˜higher gradeā€™ carbon filters do the job better.
However my understanding is that Camden neutralises both chlorine and chloramine - so you should be fine just adding a bit to the filtered water before use. Personally I prefer not to use 100% RO anyway, so I always add some Camden because of the tap water Iā€™m adding.

May be worth having a read of this: Removing Chloramines ā€“ Pure Water Products, LLC
The conclusion seems to be that the carbon filters in RO units are reasonably effective at remove chloramine because the flow rate is so low; and that ā€˜higher gradeā€™ carbon filters do the job better.
However my understanding is that Camden neutralises both chlorine and chloramine - so you should be fine just adding a bit to the filtered water before use. Personally I prefer not to use 100% RO anyway, so I always add some Camden because of the tap water Iā€™m adding.
Yeah I always use camden tabs when I use tap water as well. We have really good water except for the chloramines and a nasty algae smell in the summer so I was hoping to keep the water profile but do away with the bad parts. It is expensive you can get an ro system with a carbon filter for $60 but I was thinking I could just add it inline to this to remove the chloramines if this works otherwise I will send it back. The only reason I am worried is the warning on that RO system that said it won't remove chloramines. I would imagine it probably does about 50%.

Youā€™d be putting back what youā€™d just taken out. šŸ˜‚
I didn't mean to use all of the waste water, just some of it. Depending on the desired water profile I might use ro and tap water 50:50.

I guess though in answer to my original question that you may as well not have bothered to filter that portion of it and use more straight tap water. I think I see it more clearly this morning šŸ˜‚

I didn't mean to use all of the waste water, just some of it. Depending on the desired water profile I might use ro and tap water 50:50.

I guess though in answer to my original question that you may as well not have bothered to filter that portion of it and use more straight tap water. I think I see it more clearly this morning šŸ˜‚
Iā€™m with you on that I always try to use a mix of RO and tap water but my water in Lincolnshire is sooooo hard so sometimes I have to use 100% RO but always adjust using the water profile calculator in Brewfather

I have an answer from Sam Stainton at Vyair regarding chloramine that will be of interestā€¦

ā€œAs standard, none of our 4 stage 50gpd RO systems will remove chloramine.ā€

He went on to say they make an upgraded carbon filter that does remove chloramine but it isnā€™t compatible with the unit we have.

I have an answer from Sam Stainton at Vyair regarding chloramine that will be of interestā€¦

ā€œAs standard, none of our 4 stage 50gpd RO systems will remove chloramine.ā€

He went on to say they make an upgraded carbon filter that does remove chloramine but it isnā€™t compatible with the unit we have.
Good to know I am fortunate that my supply from Boston (Anglian water ) does not contain Chloramine at all. Itā€™s worth checking with your supplier to see if they use it .

Latest posts

Back