Rum soaked raisins in secondary....

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Liam.k.b

Reaction score
Hey guys,

So I had this idea to put some rum soaked raisins in the secondary for a wee heavy. I thought the two would work well together.

I've currently got 500g of raisins soaking in rum in the fridge.

Has anyone tried this before ? (Not necessarily in the same style). I'm interested to know how much raisins people would usually use. Is 500g a good amount, or too much/too little ?

Thanks!

Hey guys,

So I had this idea to put some rum soaked raisins in the secondary for a wee heavy. I thought the two would work well together.

I've currently got 500g of raisins soaking in rum in the fridge.

Has anyone tried this before ? (Not necessarily in the same style). I'm interested to know how much raisins people would usually use. Is 500g a good amount, or too much/too little ?

Thanks!
I read this some years ago, I reckon it would work in a 'wee heavy' without the vanilla.
https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/forum/index.php?topic=10003.0

you can add but you cant take away so less is more, for your style you dont want it overpowered with rum and raisin so I would cut back put it in and sample after a day or 2 you can add more if its not to your desired taste

I sometimes put (chopped) brandy soaked raisins in my wine,
Towards the end of fermentation,It adds a lovely flavour.
Dont know about doing it with beer though.

Latest posts

Back