Scottish National Homebrew Competition

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That couldn’t have gone much worse. Obviously something wrong with my bottling from keg - Helles got “infected”, heavy vinegar.

Vienna scored 27 but no sheet up yet. Was expecting around the 30 mark.

Really impressed how fast the scores have gone up

Super fast turnaround on scores and feedback. Hats off to the organisers!

I seem to have had a complete mare when bottling my American IPA as it was apparently badly oxidised. It's the same beer I sent to @pilgrimhudd and a few others recently and it was well received so very frustrating that something went wrong with the competition bottles.

Scored 26 for my Tropical Stout which is far lower than I expected, particularly given how well it was received during the swap. Main complaints were a lack of roast character, too light in colour and some esters from warm fermentation.

Ho hum, on to the next one...

Super fast turnaround on scores and feedback. Hats off to the organisers!

I seem to have had a complete mare when bottling my American IPA as it was apparently badly oxidised. It's the same beer I sent to @pilgrimhudd and a few others recently and it was well received so very frustrating that something went wrong with the competition bottles.

Scored 26 for my Tropical Stout which is far lower than I expected, particularly given how well it was received during the swap. Main complaints were a lack of roast character, too light in colour and some esters from warm fermentation.

Ho hum, on to the next one...

Surprised, as you say I thought it was great.

One of my beers got 40 the other took 14! Something awful happened to it between bottling and tasting as the notes are noting like the pint I've just pulled. There's a lesson here...! Sorry to anyone who drank entry 291 😞
What style was it?

I’m going to clean my lines and all my disconnects, and stick my counter pressure filler in through the dishwasher. Oh and I’d better check that it was my bottling not the beer because I only tapped the keg to take a sample and do these bottles.

What style was it?

I’m going to clean my lines and all my disconnects, and stick my counter pressure filler in through the dishwasher. Oh and I’d better check that it was my bottling not the beer because I only tapped the keg to take a sample and do these bottles.
I'm half-tempted to stick my filler in the bin! :laugh8:

Strange there seems to have been so many bottling issues this time around.

What style was it?

English IPA. My other beer was bottled with the same filler. I did bottle it when it was quite green still so there may have been some funny hop creep in the bottle...?

English IPA. My other beer was bottled with the same filler. I did bottle it when it was quite green still so there may have been some funny hop creep in the bottle...?
Mine were both bottled at the same time too - same filler, same kegerator tap but 2 different kegs obviously. Still only one of my beers has score sheets but considering I’m disappointed with my score I suspect it’s been affected too.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back